[comp.sys.cbm] Are BINARIES really a waste of disk space?

cs64wes@sdcc14.UUCP (OUSLEY) (01/28/88)

In article <745@umbc3.UMD.EDU> pete@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Pete Hsi ) writes:

>Posting programs like Kermit, Ramdos 128, and UUENCODE are perfectly legit
>uses of this newsgroup. Why? they are useful program and lotsa users will
>use them for productive proposes ...

  Absolutely.  The general opinion around here seems to be that we
  8-bit users number only a few.  "lotsa users" is, I believe, a
  more accurate assessment.  Way to go, Pete!

>These are my opinions only.
>--Pete

  Here's where your wrong.  I firmly believe that many of us exist,
  but are for some reason remaining silent.

                                     -Jonathon Chance

     {I have given you the power!}     {Who is number one?   }
     {Do you understand?         }     {You are number six.  }
     {I have given you the power }     {I am NOT a number !  }
     {of the Q!   Use it.        }     {I am a FREE MAN!     }

	   {I have seen attack ships burning off the shores}
	   {                 of Orion...                   }

doug@edge.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (02/02/88)

[As the #1 poster of lengthy game reviews, I obviously have a small bone
to pick...]

> The controversy over binary files wasting disk space would be moot if
> people would STOP posting lengthy game reviews, STOP posting redundant
> articles, and STOP using News as a private mail system.

Gee, I didn't know there WAS a controversy...   anyhow, as for the lengthy
game reviews, I'm the main poster of this offensive stuff.  However, I'm
surprised that anyone would complain; I've only posted 5 such reviews in
the last year (Elite, Revs+, Gunship, Advanced Flight Trainer, and most
recently PHM Pegasus), and there have been only 4 such that I've seen from
other netters.

Unless you're "expiring" your news rather slowly, the chances are you'll
only have one on disk at any given time.  My reviews typically run 2000
words or so, about 10,000 bytes.  A 2 to 3-screen review (as suggested)
would be about 5,000 bytes.  So we're talking maybe a 5K savings here.

Anyhow, like I said I don't know WHAT controversy we're talking about
anyway; I just haven't seen that much traffic on comp.sys.cbm whether in
binaries, lengthy game reviews, redundant articles, or private mail notes.
If you want to see clutter, check out the Amiga and PC newsgroups.  Or
worse, rec.autos or misc.legal or the talk.anythings.  I've got no gripe
at all with what goes on *here* -- I'll even tolerate the almost-daily
requests for VT-100 emulators and Kermit :-)

At least we aren't cursed with the "my computer is better than your
computer" flame wars :-)
--
Doug Pardee         {ames,hplabs,sun,amdahl,ihnp4,allegra}!oliveb!edge!doug
Edge Computer Corp., Scottsdale, AZ                 uunet!ism780c!edge!doug

czei@cbdkc1.ATT.COM (Michael Czeiszperger) (02/02/88)

In article <1028@edge.UUCP> doug@edge.UUCP (Doug Pardee) writes:
>[As the #1 poster of lengthy game reviews, I obviously have a small bone
>to pick...]
>
>> The controversy over binary files wasting disk space would be moot if
>> people would STOP posting lengthy game reviews, STOP posting redundant
>> articles, and STOP using News as a private mail system.
>
>Gee, I didn't know there WAS a controversy...

Me neither. Comp.sys.cbm has so little traffic compared to the others,
(try reading through 150 comp.sys.mac articles a day!) I really don't
see what the problem would be to send binaries.  Sites that don't
care about cbm shouldn't receive the news group in the first place.

As for lengthy game reviews, they are the #1 reason why I even
bother reading this board.  Games, (and my Dr. T MIDI software), are
the only reason I even keep my C64 now that I've got a Mac Plus
,MIDI interface, and MIDI software.  There still aren't that
many games for the Mac.  (or at least as many good ones as there
are for the C64).

So, keep the length game reviews coming.  You see, by reading these
reviews, you know exactly what you are getting before purchasing.
The only other alternative is to *steal* the game to try out
for a while before purchasing, and we all know that isn't a
very ethical way of doing things.

Michael S. Czeiszperger     | "HELP!  I'm stuck in 3B HELL !!!"
Contracted to AT&T          | Phone: (614) 860-4952  (formerly with Ohio
Unix Systems Administration | UUCP: cbosgd!dkc1!czei  State University)
6200 E. Broad Street        | Disclaimer: "The above opinions are those of
Columbus, OH   RM 1L334     |              a large rodent with sharp teeth"

cs64wes@sdcc14.UUCP (OUSLEY) (02/03/88)

In article <1028@edge.UUCP> doug@edge.UUCP (Doug Pardee) writes:
>[As the #1 poster of lengthy game reviews, I obviously have a small bone
>to pick...]
>
>> The controversy over binary files wasting disk space would be moot if
>> people would STOP posting lengthy game reviews, STOP posting redundant
>> articles, and STOP using News as a private mail system.
>
>Gee, I didn't know there WAS a controversy...

  In fact there is.  I suggested that SMALL programs wouldn't kill
anyone to be posted, and you should have SEEN the flames I caught!
Many of these were through e-mail, which may explain your lack of
knowledge about this.

>At least we aren't cursed with the "my computer is better than your
>computer" flame wars :-)

  I'm not so sure of that.  C-64 users have taken a bit of a beating
from others who don't like these "8-bit machines".  Trust me, it's
as childish here as they get.  Maybe you just don't receive all the
messages we do???