[comp.sys.cbm] 1541 disk alignment

prindle@NADC.ARPA (Frank Prindle) (02/10/88)

One of the best apparent 1541 alignment programs is called "1541 Physical
Exam".  The disk supplied contains several tracks on which some sectors have
been recorded exactly on track, some off center to the inside, and some off
center to the outside.  The off center tracks are recorded at a variety of
different distances off center.  When you run their alignment program, it
shows a graphical representation of which sectors are not experiencing errors.
If the drive is properly aligned, these will be evenly distributed about
the correctly centered sector; out of alignment drives will show an abnormally
large number of off center sectors (either inside or outside) which read
correctly - the graphical display will be off center.  To align the drive,
loosen the stepper holding screws and rotate the stepper motor slightly, repeat
the test to see if the display is more or less centered, etc., etc., etc...
The program also diagnoses worn stepping mechanism (does not position head
to same position when stepping from opposite directions) and, of course, speed
variation from the ideal.

This method of alignment closely approximates a *real* alignment disk which
contains an analog sinusoidal waveform recorded in an eliptical track.  In
this case an oscilloscope is used to observe the waveform output from the
head, which should show equal attenuation as the eliptical track moves to the
inside and outside of the true on-center position.  Such a disk is very
hard to come by, as previously mentioned.  The "1541 Physical Exam" is $39.95
from Cardinal Software (800-762-5645).  I use it and it works well.

jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) (02/11/88)

In article <POSTNEWS23218@NADC.ARPA>, prindle@NADC.ARPA (Frank Prindle) writes:
> One of the best apparent 1541 alignment programs is called "1541 Physical
> Exam".  The disk supplied contains several tracks on which some sectors have
> been recorded exactly on track, some off center to the inside, and some off
> center to the outside.

--  description deleted -

> This method of alignment closely approximates a *real* alignment disk which
> contains an analog sinusoidal waveform recorded in an eliptical track.

I've aligned many 1541's.  The technique I use is to monitor the
AC voltage at the output of the second analog head amplifyer, and
just tune the stepper motor for maximum signal with a commercial
disk in the drive.  I have a Hewlett Packard 400D AC Voltmeter
that is perfect for the job.  The going rate for a used 400D is
about $15 around here at the Ham Radio swaps.  Any AC voltmeter
that will display a half volt full scale should work, the
frequency is around a megahertz though.

One thing the commercial alignment disks (Cardinal et al.) don't
tell you is that it is possible to align the 1541 exactly a whole
or even exactly a half track off.  This is because the stepper
actually moves two steps per track and the software in the drive
will hunt for the best spot to read the disk.  It will quite
happily settle on a stepper phase that is not correct.  Strange
things will happen when aligned this way.  The drive may refuse
to read at first, then settle down and read perfectly.  A disk
formatted in the drive may be missing track 1 (this is a dead
giveaway).  Protected software laughs at you.

You can read the stepper phase by doing a M-R from $1C00 in the
drive (I think it's 1C00, I'm doing this from memory here).  Mask
off the lowest two bits by ANDing the byte with 3.  These two
bits control the stepper motor and should be either 0 or two
depending if the track number is odd or even (again, from memory,
I may have this backwords).

I have a simple program that positions the head on any track and
does continuous reads so I can tune the stepper up.  It also can
step the head back and forth a half step to check for sticky
rails and can print the stepper phase.

By the way, spindle speed is critical.  It must be within a
couple of RPM of 300 RPM.  I was able to make a dandy strobe disk
by doing a pie chart of 48 spreadsheet cells all of which had the
same number.  I used Lotus123 but any pie chart should work.  I
then imported the Lotus pie chart into a graphics program and
black filled every other piece of the pie.  The result is a 5 1/4
disk (I put it into an old floppy jacket) with 24 black and white
segments.  This will stand still when viewed under 60 HZ
flourescent illumination if turning at exactly 300 rpm.  I just
put my strobe disk in the drive (sideways so as not to get xerox
ink on the head) and adjust the speed pot.  I find this method to
be much more accurate than the software speed checkers.  I've not
found two of those that give the same results yet.

--

Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
Michigan Bell Telephone           |      tolls and you will only pay

   ihnp4!mibte!jbh   or try   ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh

cgwong@watmath.waterloo.edu (Clint Wong) (02/12/88)

In article <2511@mibte.UUCP> jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) writes:

>By the way, spindle speed is critical.  It must be within a
>couple of RPM of 300 RPM.  I was able to make a dandy strobe disk
>by doing a pie chart of 48 spreadsheet cells all of which had the
>same number.  I used Lotus123 but any pie chart should work.  I

This is probably true for most other types of drives but the 1541 has a
strobe disk on the bottom (inside) for 60Hz and 50Hz.
--
UUCP      : {allegra,clyde,decvax,uunet,utai}!watmath!cgwong
ARPA      : cgwong%watmath.waterloo.edu@csnet-relay.arpa