[comp.sys.cbm] CBM <---> CP/M

dennisf@marque.mu.edu (Dennis Flaherty) (02/11/88)

I have a Commodore-128, a 1571 and a 1541 disk drive.  I would
really like to start using my C128's CP/M mode, but I can't copy
any files to my CP/M disks.  My vt100 emulator and my kermit
programs will download any file to C128 mode, but I have nothing
to move software to CP/M.

Does anybody have a program to move software from C128 to CP/M?
The program MUST run in C128 mode, of course, since if it ran only
in CP/M mode, I wouldn't be able to run it!  I tried downloading
from RPICICGE the file PD:<CPM.C128>64CONVRT, but 64convrt doesn't
read the CP/M directory correctly.

Please, I'd like to get started with CP/M.  There's a lot I can do
once I get just a few programs across!

                                            Thanx a lot!
                                            Dennis Flaherty
dennisf%marque@csd1.milw.wisc.edu           Marquette University
3790FLAH@MUCSD.BITNET               USNail: 826 N. 20th St.
dennisf@marque.mu.edu                       Milwaukee, WI 53233
{uunet|uwvax}!marque!dennisf

Geoffrey_Welsh@watmath.waterloo.edu (02/12/88)

 > From: dennisf@marque.mu.edu (Dennis Flaherty)
 > Date: 11 Feb 88 07:22:16 GMT

 > I have a Commodore-128, a 1571 and a 1541 disk drive.  I would
 > really like to start using my C128's CP/M mode, but I can't copy
 > any files to my CP/M disks.  My vt100 emulator and my kermit
 > programs will download any file to C128 mode, but I have nothing
 > to move software to CP/M.
 >
 > Does anybody have a program to move software from C128 to CP/M?

   There are PD programs to copy from a CBM format disk to a C128 CP/M
format disk, and terminals that download directly to C128 CP/M format disks
from C128 mode.

   However, I suggest you get a hold of a terminal program like IMP
or MEX that runs in CP/M mode and download files direct to your CP/M disks.
The CP/M in the C128 is preprogrammed to read KayPro IV, Osborne 1, and
Epson QX-10 disks, so you can use disks intended for these computers to get
the CP/M terminal program up & running on your 128.

   About the largest remaining collection of CP/M disks in North America
is that kept by Canada Remote Systems. Write or call them at:

4198 Dundas Street West
Suite 311
Toronto, Ontario CANADA
M8X 1Y6

(416) 231-2883
(800) 387-1901
(800) 268-2705

   I'm not sure if the 800 lines work from the States.

   Tell the nice folks at CRS that you have a C128 and they'll be happy
to sign you up as a CP/M member and send you MEX, configured for the 128 and
on a KayPro IV disk.

   Geoff Welsh, CRS member

   {allegra|decvax|utzoo|clyde}!watmath!fido!221.171!izot

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: The Waterloo Window: WOC's out there? (1:221/171)

Brendan@cup.portal.com (02/13/88)

  Regarding your problem with the 64 converter reading the directory
correctly...try formatting the CP/M disk with a different format...it may
read only C-128 double sided, or single sided, or C-64 single sided...I
used a converter program to get CP/M files for a while, and I ran across
the same problem that you describe..

                     Brendan Kehoe

UUCP: ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!Brendan_Patrick_Kehoe

seeley@dalcsug.UUCP (Geoff Seeley) (02/15/88)

In article <36@marque.mu.edu>, dennisf@marque.mu.edu (Dennis Flaherty) writes:

> Does anybody have a program to move software from C128 to CP/M?
> The program MUST run in C128 mode, of course, since if it ran only
> in CP/M mode, I wouldn't be able to run it!  I tried downloading
> from RPICICGE the file PD:<CPM.C128>64CONVRT, but 64convrt doesn't
> read the CP/M directory correctly.

	The 64CONVRT program will work correctly, but the CP/M
	disk that is to be used must be formatted as a 64 SINGLE
	SIDED disk.
	Here is what I did to get a working copy of a terminal
	program under CP/M (IMP.COM):
	I first downloaded a copy of IMP.COM from a local BBS.
	Next I downloaded a copy of the 64CONVRT program.
	Boot up CP/M and type FORMAT to format a new CP/M disk.
	Select 64 SINGLE SIDED. The convert program will only
	read/write to this format. Run the convert program
	and transfer the terminal program to the new CP/M disk.
	Once you have the program on a CP/M disk you can then
	transfer it over to a double sided c128 CP/M format.
	Once you get IMP up and running, you can download CP/M
	programs directly to a CP/M formatted disk.

						Geoff Seeley
						(seeley@dalcsug.UUCP)

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\  \ Mail replies, questions, | "Oh no ... the brakes don't work! ... Guess     /  / money, women, beer, etc. |       theres no sense in steering now."         \  \           to:            |        -Bob & Doug Mckenzie (STRANGE BREW)      /
/  seeley@dalcsug.uucp     |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\  \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

howie@pnet02.cts.com (Howard Herman) (02/15/88)

In Message From: dennisf@marque.mu.edu (Dennis Flaherty) writes:

>I have a Commodore-128, a 1571 and a 1541 disk drive.  I would
>really like to start using my C128's CP/M mode, but I can't copy
>any files to my CP/M disks.  My vt100 emulator and my kermit
>programs will download any file to C128 mode, but I have nothing
>to move software to CP/M.
>
>Does anybody have a program to move software from C128 to CP/M?
>The program MUST run in C128 mode,

You have two choices that I know of:  Big Blue CP/M Reader, which will
convert files between CBM-CP/M-IBM.  Also the public domain, X-LINK 2.1.
The only diference that I know of between the two is that Big Blue will
format disks, whereas the PD one must have the disks already formatted.

I've been using X-LINK2.1A for some time for IBM/CBM transfers, and
it works quite easily, being menu driven, and fast. The CP/M conversion
part should work equally as fast and easily.

Happy CP/Ming.

Howie Herman

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!howie
INET: howie@pnet02.cts.com