[comp.sys.cbm] 1902 Monitor and 1571 Drive

jonkatz@ga.ecn.purdue.edu (Jonathan W. Katz) (02/27/88)

I have a problem with my 1902 Monitor and my 1571 disk drive.

The way I have my system situated I have my monitor on top
of a plexiglass stand and my disk drive in the middle.

Many programs do not like to load while the system is in this
configuration.  First I thought my drive was out of alignment and
I was told it was in perfect condition.  As long as I keep my
monitor off while I am loading programs, everything works fine.

Is there a hardware fix for the 1902 monitor that could correct this
since it would not be feasable to move the monitor anywhere?

Thanks...

				      Jonathan W. Katz

hedley@cbmvax.UUCP (Hedley Davis) (02/29/88)

In article <340@ga.ecn.purdue.edu> jonkatz@ga.ecn.purdue.edu (Jonathan W. Katz) writes:

>I have a problem with my 1902 Monitor and my 1571 disk drive.
>
>The way I have my system situated I have my monitor on top
>of a plexiglass stand and my disk drive in the middle.

Talk about one of those things where something you'd never think of
screws you up!

Indeed you are correct that the monitor is confusing your disk drive
magnetics. There is nothing short of distance and metal between the
drive and the monitor to correct this. No pun intended.

Suggest at least four inches of vertical separation with some sort of
metal between the two. Aluminum is not a good choice, steel is better.

The best bet is to play with it a while. We use case work to PC-10s or
A2000s. The top cover nicely acts as a monitor stand.

Hedley

robert@richp1.UUCP (Robert Miller) (03/01/88)

In article <340@ga.ecn.purdue.edu> jonkatz@ga.ecn.purdue.edu (Jonathan W. Katz) writes:

>I have a problem with my 1902 Monitor and my 1571 disk drive.
>
>The way I have my system situated I have my monitor on top
>of a plexiglass stand and my disk drive in the middle.

You may have a problem with magnetic fields on the monitor interfering
with your drive.  In extreme close range it could erase your diskette.

Try placing a piece of aluminum foil under your monitor to shield the
drive.

                                  :     :  Robert Miller @ ihnp4!richp1!robert