In article <525@io.ATT.COM> judah@io.ATT.COM (59453[ajw]-j.s.kaminetsky) writes:
>When the Commodore 64 first came out
>I remember seeing ads for about 150
>educational disks for about $1 each.
>I think it was software originally
>written for the Commodore PET.
>
>Thanks,
>
>io!judah (201) 957-6078

The Commodore Educational Disks were released in two sets.  The first set
was a collection of programs - mostly for the PET line of computers - on
about 50 disks, and was released in 1982.  The programs had been checked out
to make certain that they worked and had been divided into categories by
subject area.  Actually, Commodore Canada had employed a group of high
school teachers and students to rework all of the educational public domain
programs they could find, make sure they were functional, and then to copy
the disks and distribute them to Commodore dealers.  The dealers passed the
disks along to the school administrators free, or for a small copying fee.

The second set, released in 1983 on 56 disks, was a significant improvement over the
first.  Some of the earlier programs were not included in the second set and
new ones were introduced, but there was much duplication.  In this set, the
programs had been given a common interface.  There was added ability that
allowed the program to determine which computer it was running on, and to
adapt itself to that machine, so that the programs could be used on all
Commodore machines in use at that time - from the earliest PET through the
Commodore 64.  In most cases, there were instructions for the teacher
(frequently including instructions for modifying the program), and for the
student.

My school system has made extensive use of these educational disks, and I
have used many of the programs in the classroom myself.  The programs were
all written in BASIC, so they were easy for most teachers to modify for
their own classes.  There was input protection and the like that made it
unlikely that the students would break out of the program.  We found them
extremely helpful.

My user group (SCOPE in Dallas) has these disks in its library.  TPUG would
most certainly have them.  Probably you will find them in the library of
almost any of the older Commodore clubs - those formed before 1983 or 1984.
If you cannot locate these disks in your area, contact me and I will try to
help you get them.  I hesitate to offer to copy 56 disks!

Betty Clay
Guest of S.M.U., Electrical Engineering Dept.