[comp.sys.cbm] terminal modes on C-128/CPM

bobc@killer.UUCP (Bob Calbridge) (03/07/88)

Can anyone explain alt mode in CPM Plus on a C-128.  I have the
128 System Guide that came with the machine but it seems that
Commodore was quite terse with information concerning the CPM
side of the machine.  There is some metion made concerning toggling
the mode on and off but so far the alt key seems to make no difference
on anything.   I'm also interested in being able to change key definitions
from within a C program.  Any help there?
While I have you all here let me throw out another problem that I would like
to nail down.  I use two 1571 drives.  I usually have all the system and
utility files on drive A: and do my work on drive B:, having done a
"setdef a:,b:" to arrange my search path.  This is all taken care of by
my profile.sub file.  However, no matter which disk, brand or density, I
use eventually one or two files get corrupted on the A:drive.  I can copy
a new file over the bad one and it will run for a few sessions and then
the corruption occurs again.  Often the same files get corrupted but
just as often different files get hit.  Too often the file is "submit.com".
Has anyone else experienced problems like this with their drives?
Thanks in advance.
Best,
Bob

howie@pnet02.cts.com (Howard Herman) (03/13/88)

In article,<3610@killer.UUCP>, bobc@killer.UUCP (Bob Calbridge) writes:
>I'm also interested in being able to change key definitions
>from within a C program.  Any help there?

Well,  not from within the program, but before with KEYFIG.  What you ought to

do  is  set-up  different  CP/M sys's for each of your different applications,

using  KEYFIG  to  define the keys as you would like them to be for each.  So,

you would have one CP/M boot disk for C programs, another for dBASE, etc.  Now

when  you  change  from  running one to the other it is not necessary to close

down and re-boot CP/M.  Merely run KEYFIG, have it get the new key definitions

you  want  from  the  new  CP/M  disk, have it define these new definitions as

current,  exit  KEYFIG, and as many keys, up to every key on the keyboard will

have been re-defined according to how you set it up with KEYFIG.  Changing key

definitions  with  KEYFIG  in  this  manner  should  take about 15-20 seconds,

allowing  for  load  time of the program, and then you are set to run your new

application,  with a newly re-defined keyboard. You could even have the second

CP/M  sys  on  another drive, from which you run KEYFIG, and avoid the need to

swap  disks.   For  additional  CP/M  sys's,  you may try using different user

areas, again avoiding any need for a swap of disks.

>While I have you all here let me throw out another problem that I would like
>to nail down.  I use two 1571 drives.  I usually have all the system and
>utility files on drive A: and do my work on drive B:, having done a
>"setdef a:,b:" to arrange my search path.  This is all taken care of by
>my profile.sub file.  However, no matter which disk, brand or density, I
>use eventually one or two files get corrupted on the A:drive.  I can copy
>a new file over the bad one and it will run for a few sessions and then
>the corruption occurs again.  Often the same files get corrupted but
>just as often different files get hit.  Too often the file is "submit.com".
>Has anyone else experienced problems like this with their drives?
>Thanks in advance.
>Best,
>Bob

From  your  description  you give a pretty good hint as to where your prob is.

Whenever  you  use  the  profile.sub,  or  for  that matter any submit file, a

temporary  file  is  written to disk to perform that task, and then is erased.

My  quess  is  that you are not leaving enough disk space on your drive A disk

for this temporary file to be written, causing it to overwrite other things on

the  disk.   Submit  files  usually  do  not take up that much space, but as a

precaution,  I'll  always leave about 10-15k of empty disk space to accomodate

them.  (As  a  matter of interest, with DRI's new CP/M sys, for the #1581, any

submit file is easily identified, if you see: SYSIN57.$$$.  If the submit file

completed its task, this will have been erased,however.)

BTW,  if  you  are doing any serious CP/M tasks, you ought to consider getting

the  #1750  RAM,  and running from it. It speeds up run time multi-fold. (And,

then  you could add to your profile: setdef [temporary=m:], and your temporary

submit files will be written in RAM, speeding up their application, and saving

your disks.)

Howie

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!howie
INET: howie@pnet02.cts.com