[comp.sys.cbm] pd lang

mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Michael R. DeCorte) (02/28/88)

Hello, I am in need of some pd languages for a comomdore 64.  I have a
few requirements

1) must have something like a procedure
2) must have local variables
3) must not be buggy
4) intereactive
5) recursion

I am not to picky about what the language is as long as it
fits the above requirements. If there is a *good* version of
C (that is free or not to expensive) that will also be good as
I can use it to port some languages that I have.
Please mail to me directly.

Thanks

--

Michael DeCorte // mrd@clutx.clarkson.edu // mrd@clutx.bitnet
(315)268-3704 // P.O. Box 652, Potsdam, NY 13676

relkins@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Rob Elkins) (03/02/88)

In article <463@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Michael R. DeCorte) writes:

>Hello, I am in need of some pd languages for a comomdore 64.  I have a
>few requirements
>
>1) must have something like a procedure
>2) must have local variables
>3) must not be buggy
>4) intereactive
>5) recursion

A while back I heard of a language called comal.  It had pascal-like procedures,
and the ability to do recursion, (I think since it had call-by-name procedures),
perhaps someone knows if its still available.  There was a society which was
responsible for distribuiting it.

Good Luck

Rob Elkins
--
ARPA:

bowen@sunybcs.uucp (Devon E Bowen) (03/03/88)

In article <751@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> relkins@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Rob Elkins) writes:

>A while back I heard of a language called comal. It had pascal-like procedures,
>and the ability to do recursion,(I think since it had call-by-name procedures),
>perhaps someone knows if its still available.  There was a society which was
>responsible for distribuiting it.

I've got an old copy of it. I played with it for an afternoon and it seemed
to be an easy to work with language. Sort of a combination of BASIC, Pascal
and logo (it's uses turtle graphics). The only problem with it is that the
language itself takes up 85% of the memory! Now, my copy is old. Maybe things
have changed a bit. I can boot it up and post the address of the group that
distributes it in the US if anyone would like it.

				    Devon Bowen (KA2NRC)
				    University at Buffalo

uucp:	   ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!bowen
Internet:  bowen@cs.Buffalo.EDU
BITNET:    bowen@sunybcs.BITNET

dave@zehntel.zehntel.com (Dave Funk) (03/04/88)

In article <751@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> relkins@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Rob Elkins) writes:
>In article <463@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Michael R. DeCorte) writes:
>>
>>Hello, I am in need of some pd languages for a comomdore 64.  I have a
>>few requirements
>>
>>1) must have something like a procedure
>>2) must have local variables
>>3) must not be buggy
>>4) intereactive
>>5) recursion
>
>A while back I heard of a language called comal.  It had pascal-like procedures,
>and the ability to do recursion, (I think since it had call-by-name procedures),
>perhaps someone knows if its still available.  There was a society which was
>responsible for distribuiting it.
>
>Good Luck
>
>Rob Elkins
>--
>ARPA:   relkins@vax1.acs.udel.edu
>BITNET: FFO04688 AT UDACSVM
>
>Live Long and Prosper!

COMAL is a very good, non buggy language.  It comes in two forms; diskette
or cartridge.  The diskette version is a little more simplistic, but still
quite powerful.  It has all the features requested above and a *lot* more.

Rather than attempting to recite all of it's features, you can call or write
to the exclusive distributor for COMAL:

	COMAL User's Group
	6041 Monona Drive
	Madison, WI  53716

	(608) 222-4432

The head honcho there is Len Lindsay.  He literally wrote the book for
the COMAL language (one of the best written books I have seen for the
C64/C128).  They support COMAL via newsletters, disk subscriptions, and
are on most of the major nets (QLink, CompuServe, etc).

I would strongly encourage you (or anyone) to take a look at COMAL.

I have no connection whatever with COMAL, except that I am a very satisfied
user.

Dave Funk			 ....!ucbvax!zehntel!dave
Zehntel, Inc.			 ....!decvax!sytek!zehntel!dave
2625 Shadelands Drive		 ...."zehntel!dave"@BERKELEY
Walnut Creek, CA  94598		 (415) 932-6900 x309

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Christopher Lishka) (03/04/88)

     Although this is off the top of my head, I believe the Comal
group is working on a version for the Amiga.  The U.S. group was (and
probably still is) based here in Madison, WI.  I am not sure about any
other info.

     My personal experience with Comal is pretty minimal, although I
tried writing some code in it way back when.  It seems to be a cross
between Pascal and BASIC, and was interesting in that it would
*reformat* lines written in C64 BASIC into Comal as you typed.  Pretty
interesting.

     If you are looking for a PD language, you might want to look into
Comal some more.  Sorry I can't be of any more help.

					-Chris

--
Chris Lishka                    /lishka@uwslh.uucp
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene <-lishka%uwslh.uucp@rsch.wisc.edu

anderson@c10sd3.Comten.NCR.COM (Joel Anderson) (03/04/88)

In article <8973@sunybcs.UUCP> bowen@joey.UUCP (Devon E Bowen) writes:
>In article <751@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> relkins@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Rob Elkins) writes:
>>
>>A while back I heard of a language called comal. It had pascal-like procedures,
>>and the ability to do recursion,(I think since it had call-by-name procedures),
>>perhaps someone knows if its still available.  There was a society which was
>>responsible for distribuiting it.
>
>I've got an old copy of it. I played with it for an afternoon and it seemed
>to be an easy to work with language. Sort of a combination of BASIC, Pascal
>and logo (it's uses turtle graphics). The only problem with it is that the
>language itself takes up 85% of the memory! Now, my copy is old. Maybe things
>have changed a bit. I can boot it up and post the address of the group that
>distributes it in the US if anyone would like it.
>
>				    Devon Bowen (KA2NRC)
>				    University at Buffalo

Actually the language you have is almost certainly PD -and almost certainly
out of date.  Currently 0.14 (the PD version) is replaced by the "power driver" which adds numerous commands, expands the amount of free memory to 15K and
(for money, not PD) offers a compiler to create standalone COMAL programs
that do not require the language package (much more run-time memory) no
speed advantage though.
Comal offers recursion, variable scoping, any length fully recognized
variable names, listing that automatically indents the structure.

Information is available online on Qlink, as is the Power Driver version of
COMAL.  There is also a cartridge based version 2.xx available which offers
much more.  It is used in Europe for education, outperforms BASIC in many
ways (speed, structure, ease of use) and is implemented on IBM PCs, VAXs,
and in progress on Mac and Apple.

bjc@pollux.UUCP (Betty J. Clay) (03/07/88)

In article <751@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> relkins@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Rob Elkins) writes:
>In article <463@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Michael R. DeCorte) writes:
>>
>>Hello, I am in need of some pd languages for a comomdore 64.  I have a
>>few requirements
 (some omitted here)

>A while back I heard of a language called comal.  It had pascal-like procedures,
>and the ability to do recursion, (I think since it had call-by-name procedures),
>perhaps someone knows if its still available.  There was a society which was
>responsible for distribuiting it.

The address of the Comal Users' Group is:

Comal Today
6041 Monona Drive
Madison, WI 53716

COMAL is available on disk as a freely distributable program.  There is a more complete form available in cartridge form, but this must be purchased.  I don't know the current price.  COMAL is a very nice language.  I think you'd like it.

Betty Clay
...killer!pollux!bjc

:wq

jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) (03/08/88)

In article <8973@sunybcs.UUCP>, bowen@sunybcs.UUCP writes:
> In article <751@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> relkins@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Rob Elkins) writes:
> >
> >A while back I heard of a language called comal. It had pascal-like procedures,
> >and the ability to do recursion,(I think since it had call-by-name procedures),
> >perhaps someone knows if its still available.  There was a society which was
> >responsible for distribuiting it.
>
> I've got an old copy of it. I played with it for an afternoon and it seemed
> to be an easy to work with language. Sort of a combination of BASIC, Pascal
> and logo (it's uses turtle graphics). The only problem with it is that the
> language itself takes up 85% of the memory! Now, my copy is old. Maybe things
> have changed a bit. I can boot it up and post the address of the group that
> distributes it in the US if anyone would like it.
>
> 				    Devon Bowen (KA2NRC)
> 				    University at Buffalo

There is a fellow in Wisconsin I think, Len Lindsay who is the
COMAL Guru in the US.  He has written much on the language and
there is a COMAL users group.  Unfortunately, I don't have any
addresses here but if you check around at your local Commodore
users group you are sure to find COMAL people.  The language
originated in Denmark and is now available on a bank switching
cartridge for something like nintey bucks (includes Lindsays
book).  This leaves most of the 64's memory open for programs.

--

Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
Michigan Bell Telephone           |      tolls and you will only pay

   ihnp4!mibte!jbh   or try   ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh

rupp@cod.NOSC.MIL (William L. Rupp) (03/17/88)

A  couple or three years ago I was quite enthusiastic about Comal.  I
bought several very good books on the language and tried wrote a couple of
programs.  For a variety of reasons, having mostly to do with my
involvement with several computer systems both at work and at home, I
sort of never got around to doing much with Comal.  However, if anyone
has any specific questions about the language itself, especially
related to the Commodore-64, I will try to answer them.  Just send me
email (rupp@nosc.mil).

To repeat, my books relate mostly, though not entirely, to the C64.  One
of them is a book on C64 Comal graphics, for instance.  The big problem
that I saw was that the full implementation of the language came in the
form of a cartridge.  That does absolutely no good if your goal is to
create software, commercial or p.d., for others too use.  What is needed
is a Comal compiler, or at least a run-time module.

Incidentally, I understand that Comal, which was invented in
Denmark(?), is used in several European countries as an educational
language, somewhat in the same role that Pascal plays here.  It is much
better than BASIC, but not so daunting as C or Pascal.  Anyway, if
someone were to come out with a Comal *compiler* for any of the micros
I regularly use, I would definitely buy it.

Bill

anderson@c10sd3.Comten.NCR.COM (Joel Anderson) (03/18/88)

Check out the COMAL section on Quantum link - there is now a version
of Comal 0.14 called "PowerDriver" which includes many of the features
of Comal 2.x (the cartridge version).  The interpreter is available on
QLink, and for a few bucks you can buy a compiler that will generate a
complete run-time BASIC Load and Runnable version of your COMAL
program - Also, the workspace with "PowerDriver" is 15K (bigger than
the original 0.14's 10K) AND the compiled versions have 30+K workspace.
----------------------------------
Joel Peter Anderson
NCR Comten
Software engineer