[comp.sys.cbm] Modem Help

rob@selenium.cchem.berkeley.edu (Robert Oyung) (03/22/88)

I am planning on getting a modem in the very near future and would like
some input on which are good ones as well as good terminal emulation
programs.

The main use of the modem would be so that I could login to a VAX from
home.

I have asked several vendors about the Commodore 1670 1200 baud modem
but they do not have it in stock.  I was also planning on getting
Bob's Pro Term.

Suggestions?

Much Thanks,
Rob

Robert Oyung
rob@selenium.cchem.berkeley.edu

jon@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Jon George Seidl) (03/22/88)

In article <1717@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> rob@selenium.cchem.berkeley.edu (Robert Oyung) writes:

>I am planning on getting a modem in the very near future...
>...The main use of the modem would be so that I could login to a VAX from
>home.
>...I have asked several vendors about the Commodore 1670 1200 baud modem
>but they do not have it in stock...
>
>Suggestions?

First of all, I would NOT suggest that you buy a Commodore modem unless
you expect the machine you have now to be your only one forever (very
doubtful). Full-featured 1200 baud Hayes compatible modems can be picked up
for a far cry less than the $150-$200 price that stores will quote you on
the 1670. The one I got has auto-dial, auto-answer, speaker, etc. and
it only cost me $80 new. You can then pick up a Commodore RS-232 to RS-232C
converter for about $40 and still have some money left (not to mention
the money you'll save by not having to buy yourself another modem
in the future).

						Jon

 University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee      \\  \\ \\  /\  /| /\  /\
 Internet: jon@csd4.milw.wisc.edu	  \\//\\ \/  \/ //  \/  \|
     Uucp: uwvax!uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!jon
   bitnet: jon%csd4.milw.wisc.edu@wiscmac3.bitnet