[comp.sys.cbm] HELP! My children are threating me with GUNs, KNIVES, ATTorn

logden@tc.fluke.COM (Leonard Ogden) (03/29/88)

Well, it finally happended to me, my 64 died last weekend. And of course I
need some help of a technical nature (sounds of soldering iron heating in
the background)immeadiately.

The failure is as follows:

I turn on my drive and monitor , then when I turn on the 64, the
monitor is black (though I can hear the 'burp' from the speaker). After about
10 seconds the screen flashes some funny characters, and stays black.

My thought is that the ROM is gone.

Anyway what do you think? Also of interest is which one of my chips is the
ROM? the 6526-4's, 6581, or something labeled 906114 -01?

If you can kind of recommend a course of action (I know how to take it to a
service center, but I'm close to broke :-(, and I've GOT to buy Might and
Magic!), I'm pretty handy with the ol' neddelnose, dikes, and iron, and my
children (5 of 'em and their getting rabid!!) and I would shorely appreciate
it!

Thanks bunches,

logden

smaug@eneevax.UUCP (Kurt J. Lidl) (03/29/88)

In article <3234@fluke.COM> logden@tc.fluke.COM (Leonard Ogden) writes:

>Well, it finally happended to me, my 64 died last weekend.
>The failure is as follows:
>I turn on my drive and monitor , then when I turn on the 64, the
>monitor is black (though I can hear the 'burp' from the speaker). After
>10 seconds the screen flashes some funny characters, and stays black.
>
>Anyway what do you think? Also of interest is which one of my chips is the
>ROM? the 6526-4's, 6581, or something labeled 906114 -01?
>
>If you can kind of recommend a course of action...

  Finally, a question that I can at least suggest an answer to!  Having
a little experience in this matter, I think that you may be on the right
track, tho checking the PAL may be a wise decision too...  At any rate,
the ROMs are probably soldered into place (2 out of 3 machines in my
experience) so removing them is NO FUN!  The 6526's are your CIA's -
it's probably not them, when they fail, your serial port dies, as does
your keyboard and other nifty things! :-)  The 6581 is the SID (if I
remember correctly, it's been a while).  The "burp" you mentioned
probably means it is OK.
  I believe the 906114 -01 is the PAL in the beast, and you should probably
check that one first.  Any decent repair shop (c64) should have them for
about $15.  If not, Jameco will sell you one for that and shipping.  I don't
remember the number of the ROM, sorry.

>Thanks bunches,
>logden

You're welcome, for what the answer was worth!

Kurt Lidl (smaug@eneevax.umd.edu)

sekora-jay@CS.YALE.EDU (Jay Sekora) (03/29/88)

Expires:

In article <3234@fluke.COM> logden@tc.fluke.COM (Leonard Ogden) writes:
>I turn on my drive and monitor , then when I turn on the 64, the
>monitor is black (though I can hear the 'burp' from the speaker). After about
>[...]
>My thought is that the ROM is gone.
>[...]
>logden

I'd say it's almost certainly not the ROM, if the 'burp' you mention is
fairly normal-sounding.  The 'burp' would occur when the O/S initialises
the SID chip.  (You might still get _some_ kind of sound on turning the
thing on if the OS wasn't there, but I don't think it would sound the same.
My guess would be the video chip.  (Forgot the number at the moment.)  If
you have a friend you can borrow the C64 Programmer's Reference Guide from
you should; it's got the specs.  Good luck.  -jay
Jay Sekora                                              sekora-jay@yale.UUCP
						       sekjaya@yalevm.bitnet

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM ( Tom Bruhns) (03/30/88)

> Well, it finally happended to me, my 64 died last weekend. And of course I
> need some help of a technical nature (sounds of soldering iron heating in
> the background)immeadiately.

> Thanks bunches,
>
> logden

----------
I've fixed two c64's w/ somewhat similar symptoms.  In each case, it was
one or more RAM chips which had died.  In both cases, it was easy to
figure out which ones were bad:  the bad ones run maybe 30 degC hotter!
I confirmed this with a scope in each case (the outputs don't go crisply to
low and high levels on the bad ones), but the touch test would have
been enough.  This may not help in your case (maybe it is a rom or pal),
but I hope it helps someone somewhere . . .

figueroa@oodis01.ARPA (Andrew Figueroa) (03/30/88)

Most likely to be the power supply.
With the C-64 and blank or "funny" screen, it should be the first thing you
check.  It is the weakest part in the chain!

Andy Figueroa aka "figueroa@lognet2.arpa"