[comp.sys.cbm] 1541C Problem

wjb@rayssd.ray.com (Bill Brogan) (04/05/88)

     I have had a 1541 disk drive for a couple years.  I just got a new 1541C
disk drive.  When I insert a disk into the 1541 nothing happens until I give
the drive a command from the C-64.  When I insert a disk into the 1541C, the
motor starts when the disk is about 1/3 way in.  It runs for about 3 seconds,
then stops.  This happens when the latch is open, and continues for the 3
seconds whether I close the latch or not.  I can hear the spinning spindle
rubbing against the disk I am inserting if I push it more than 1/3 way in on
on the 1541C.  Sometimes that motor starts when I remove a disk too, and runs
for a few seconds after the disk is out of the drive.  Otherwise the drive
seems to work (read, write, pass diagnostics) normally.

     My question is, is this normal behaviour for a 1541C?  Why hasn't my
1541 ever done this?  It doesn't seem right to have moving parts rubbing
against a disk as you insert it.  If this isn't normal, does anyone know
what's wrong and how to fix it?

     Thanks for any help.

					Bill

--
 "That's where you're wrong, wraith." - Captain America

hackeron@athena.mit.edu (Harris L Gilliam) (04/06/88)

In article <1936@rayssd.ray.com> wjb@rayssd.ray.com (Bill Brogan)
writes:

>When I insert a disk into the 1541C, the motor starts
>when the disk is about 1/3 way in.  It runs for about 3 seconds, then
>stops....  >... is, is this normal behaviour for a 1541C?

   This is the normal behavior of a 1541C. The reason the drive spins
is to make the seal between the hub ring (the thing that the drive
clamps on to spin the disk) and the spin wheel better. Someone decided
that spinning the wheel while the disk came into contact would make
the hub ring fit on it better.
|    Harris L. Gilliam         () Internet : hackeron@athena.mit.edu         |
|4 Ames St. Cambridge MA 02139 () UUCP {backbone..}!mit-eddie!athena!hackeron|
*The chance to forget some this is proportional to ...... to...... uh ...... *