[comp.sys.cbm] out-of-warranty repair

tw0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Todd Andrew Williamson) (03/18/88)

Does anyone here on the net know what Commodore's policy is about
out-of-warranty repair on C64's? When I shorted some pins on the user port a
few weeks ago, I thought "I'll just pick one up used somewhere"- this is easier
said than done. I tried calling Commodore, but after 20 tries when it was busy,
thein being put on hold for ~10 minutes(long distance), I gave up. It seems to
me that someone once told me that for $50 and your old C64, Commodore would
either repair or replace it. Is there any truth to this, or was my friend(or
me) hallucinating?

Thanks,

Todd Williamson.

P.S. If anyone out there has an extra C64, let me know what you want for it. I
NEED a 64 real soon.

eric@cbmvax.UUCP (Eric Cotton) (03/30/88)

In article <oWE19Qy00XoEI9n0MO@andrew.cmu.edu> tw0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Todd Andrew Williamson) writes:
>Does anyone here on the net know what Commodore's policy is about
>out-of-warranty repair on C64's? When I shorted some pins on the user port a
>few weeks ago, I thought "I'll just pick one up used somewhere"- this is easier
>said than done. I tried calling Commodore, but after 20 tries when it was busy,
>thein being put on hold for ~10 minutes(long distance), I gave up. It seems to
>me that someone once told me that for $50 and your old C64, Commodore would
>either repair or replace it. Is there any truth to this, or was my friend(or
>me) hallucinating?

The following is from Brenda Billings, CBM Service Department:

	In the past, Commodore did offer a new C64 pc-board in exchange
	for US$55.  This is no longer true.  Currently, users can bring
	out-of-warranty units anywhere that is convenient, though a CBM
	authorized service center is recommended.  For units still under
	warranty, contact an authorized service center.  To locate a
	center in your area try the phone book or call CBM Customer
	Relations at (215) 436-4200.

					Brenda Billings

	Eric Cotton
	Commodore-Amiga

  *======================================================================*
 *=====     UUCP: {rutgers|ihnp4|allegra}!cbmvax!eric                =====*
*=====      FONE: (215) 431-9100                                      =====*
*=====      MAIL: 1200 Wilson Drive / West Chester, PA 19380          =====*
 *=====     PAUL: "I don't find this stuff amusing anymore."         =====*
  *======================================================================*

elg@nuchat.UUCP (Eric Green) (04/06/88)

From article <3550@cbmvax.UUCP>, by eric@cbmvax.UUCP (Eric Cotton):
> In article <oWE19Qy00XoEI9n0MO@andrew.cmu.edu> tw0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Todd Andrew Williamson) writes:
>>Does anyone here on the net know what Commodore's policy is about
>>out-of-warranty repair on C64's? When I shorted some pins on the user port a
>
> The following is from Brenda Billings, CBM Service Department:
>
> 	In the past, Commodore did offer a new C64 pc-board in exchange
> 	for US$55.  This is no longer true.  Currently, users can bring
> 	out-of-warranty units anywhere that is convenient, though a CBM
> 	authorized service center is recommended.  For units still under

If I live in Billings, Montana, and the nearest repair center is
200 miles away -- then what?

You mean that Commodore has NO provisions  for servicing people who
don't live near a repair center? (as an example, Alexandria,
Louisiana, has various department stores that used to carry
Commodore computers -- but the nearest repair center is 150 miles
away, here in Lafayette, Louisiana).

--
  Eric Green  uunet!nuchat!elg
  P.O. Box 92191  Lafayette, LA 70509

eric@cbmvax.UUCP (Eric Cotton) (04/12/88)

In article <891@nuchat.UUCP> elg@nuchat.UUCP (Eric Green) writes:
>From article <3550@cbmvax.UUCP>, by eric@cbmvax.UUCP (Eric Cotton):
>> In article <oWE19Qy00XoEI9n0MO@andrew.cmu.edu> tw0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Todd Andrew Williamson) writes:
>>>Does anyone here on the net know what Commodore's policy is about
>>>out-of-warranty repair on C64's? When I shorted some pins on the user port a
>>
>> The following is from Brenda Billings, CBM Service Department:
>>
>> 	In the past, Commodore did offer a new C64 pc-board in exchange
>> 	for US$55.  This is no longer true.  Currently, users can bring
>> 	out-of-warranty units anywhere that is convenient, though a CBM
>> 	authorized service center is recommended.  For units still under
>
>If I live in Billings, Montana, and the nearest repair center is
>200 miles away -- then what?
>
>You mean that Commodore has NO provisions  for servicing people who
>don't live near a repair center? (as an example, Alexandria,
>Louisiana, has various department stores that used to carry
>Commodore computers -- but the nearest repair center is 150 miles
>away, here in Lafayette, Louisiana).

Brenda's response:

    Customers who do not live near an authorized service center should mail,
    UPS, or otherwise ship their equipment to the closest repair center.
    One can not reasonably expect Commodore to have service centers in every
    town across the country.  Our list of service centers is continuosly
    growing, however.  We do regret any inconvenience it may cause a customer
    to ship their unit.

    By the way, those customers living in Alexandria, LA (and you know who
    you are) do not have to go 150 miles to find the nearest service center.
    There is one right in Alexandria called Personal Computers.  Also, for the
    time being, customers in Billings, Montana can ship units to one of the
    centers in *Montana*, any of which is a lot closer than West Chester, PA.

--
	Eric Cotton
	Commodore-Amiga