[comp.sys.cbm] C128, find or flop? and More ram, more ram...

simon@ms.uky.edu (George Simon) (04/24/88)

First of all...

In article <168@anselm.UUCP> pfarrell@anselm.UUCP (Gladiator Supreme.) writes:
>    The 128 is expandable to 512k for all of those who need the memory,
							  ^^^^

	The 128 is expandable to 640k.   It comes with 128k installed, and the 1750
	RAM expansion adds another 512k.  This 512k can be used to store data as a
	RamDisk or using Stash/Fetch from Basic.  It makes the 128 a rather nice
	CP/M box.

And while I'm on the subject...	(techies listen up!)

	The 128k is split up into 2 64k banks: ram-0 and ram-1.  In the programmers
	reference manual there are references to ram-2 and ram-3, implying that one
	could expand the basic 128 to 256k.  I have never heard of this being done,
	has anyone tried this?  Is the hardware/o.s. set up to use the other two
	ram banks?  A couple of configurations (2,3,6,7,10,11) mention these extra
	two banks, but say they are the same as ram-0 and ram-1.  Also, the MMU
	seems to be able to play with the 2 extra banks, but ignores them instead.

	Anyone at Commodore care to comment?   I would love to add more ram, even
	if it is supported in hardware only.   I also remember someone posting
	the procedure for upgrading the 80-col memory to 64k, will you please e-mail
	it to me or re-post it?
							Simon

<---   Simon Gales@University of Ky 	            254-9387/257-3597 	--->
<---   [simon@ms.uky.edu] | [cbosgd!ukma!simon] | [simon@UKMA.BITNET]   --->