[comp.sys.cbm] Kermit version 2.1

tech@auvax.UUCP (Richard Loken) (05/02/88)

I got the new version of Kermit in the mail today, I haven't checked it yet
but...  If this version has the (GASP) BUG in it, how much code is affected?
Is it small enough to send a file on the net that I can use to fix it with
or should I send the disc back and try again?

Did you find the bug before mailing any discs?

     *********	    73
    **********	    Richard Loken VE6BSV
   .      ****
  ..      ****	    Athabasca University
 ....     ****	    Athabasca, Alberta Canada
..........****	    ihnp4!alberta!auvax

ray@j.cc.purdue.edu (Ray Moody) (05/05/88)

In article <618@auvax.UUCP> tech@auvax.UUCP (Richard Loken) writes:
>I got the new version of Kermit in the mail today, I haven't checked it yet
>but...  If this version has the (GASP) BUG in it, how much code is affected?
>Is it small enough to send a file on the net that I can use to fix it with
>or should I send the disc back and try again?

    There was a problem with the code that sends packets.  It would send
them at 300 buad even if you have a 1200 baud modem.

    The bug was fixed before any disks were sent.  Furthermore, the bug is not
present in the official Kermit archives.

    The only chance you have of getting a bad copy is if you got an early
copy via anonymous ftp from j.cc.purdue.edu.  The bug was fixed there about
a day after it was reported.

    If anybody finds any other bugs, I would like to know about them as soon
as possible.  Yes, some minor problems have been reported, but nothing that
can't wait for the next release.  So far, the only such problem that I have
been able to reproduce is that this version of kermit is more sensitive to
parity errors and frame errors than the last one.

                                        Ray Moody
                                         ray@j.cc.purdue.edu
                                         ihnp4!pur-ee!j.cc.purdue.edu!ray
                                         moody@purccvm.BITNET