[comp.sys.cbm] Commodore LCD

isusevm@pyr.gatech.EDU (Vernard C Martin) (05/30/88)

A while back when commodore first released the 128, there was talk about
a commodore laptop called the LCD. Did this every make it to the market.
and so is there any way I can get my hands on one. I am a dedicated
commodore user of several years and I wouldn't mind adding one to my collection
. Thanx in advance. Email response also accepted.
------ Vernard Martin

Vernard Martin (Resident Apprentice Mage)
isusevm@pyr.gatech.edu   "Were there is a will, there is a way to subvert it"

hedley@cbmvax.UUCP (Hedley Davis) (05/31/88)

In article <5866@pyr.gatech.EDU> isusevm@pyr.gatech.EDU (Vernard C Martin) writes:
>A while back when commodore first released the 128, there was talk about
>a commodore laptop called the LCD. Did this every make it to the market.
>and so is there any way I can get my hands on one. I am a dedicated
>commodore user of several years and I wouldn't mind adding one to my collection
>. Thanx in advance. Email response also accepted.
>------ Vernard Martin

OUCH. I worked on that machine. Lots of us spent long nights sweating it
out. It was gonna be a pretty hot little laptop. I bet it would have
whipped the pants off of the TRS-100 line. The software was superiour,
the hardware was superiour. It was gorgious. It was canned. DAMN !.

So sorry, there are only a very few in existence. Probably only 2 or 3
are still working today. They are not for sale.

Perhaps I can interest you in a PLUS/4. :-)

Hedley

ltf@killer.UUCP (Lance Franklin) (06/01/88)

In article <3893@cbmvax.UUCP> hedley@cbmvax.UUCP (Hedley Davis) writes:
>In article <5866@pyr.gatech.EDU> isusevm@pyr.gatech.EDU (Vernard C Martin) writes:
>>A while back when commodore first released the 128, there was talk about
>>a commodore laptop called the LCD. Did this every make it to the market.
>>and so is there any way I can get my hands on one.
>>
>OUCH. I worked on that machine. Lots of us spent long nights sweating it
>out. It was gonna be a pretty hot little laptop. I bet it would have
>whipped the pants off of the TRS-100 line. The software was superiour,
>the hardware was superiour. It was gorgious. It was canned. DAMN !.
>
>So sorry, there are only a very few in existence. Probably only 2 or 3
>are still working today. They are not for sale.

Yeah, I heard about that LCD...would have been real nice.  Was that work done
down here in Texas?

By the way, any of those Robots left?   :-)

(I intensely dislike inews....don't you?)

Lance

--
+------------------+ +------------------------------------------------------+
| Lance T Franklin | |  Now accepting suggestions for clever, humourous or  |

eric@cbmvax.UUCP (Eric Cotton) (06/02/88)

In article <4266@killer.UUCP> ltf@killer.UUCP (Lance Franklin) writes:
>In article <3893@cbmvax.UUCP> hedley@cbmvax.UUCP (Hedley Davis) writes:
>>In article <5866@pyr.gatech.EDU> isusevm@pyr.gatech.EDU (Vernard C Martin) writes:
>>>A while back when commodore first released the 128, there was talk about
>>>a commodore laptop called the LCD. Did this every make it to the market.
>>>and so is there any way I can get my hands on one.
>>>
>>OUCH. I worked on that machine. Lots of us spent long nights sweating it
>>out. It was gonna be a pretty hot little laptop. I bet it would have
>>whipped the pants off of the TRS-100 line. The software was superiour,
>>the hardware was superiour. It was gorgious. It was canned. DAMN !.
>>
>>So sorry, there are only a very few in existence. Probably only 2 or 3
>>are still working today. They are not for sale.
>
>Yeah, I heard about that LCD...would have been real nice.  Was that work done
>down here in Texas?

No, the LCD was developed right here in good ol' West Chester, PA.  The Texas
R&D office had been closed by the time the LCD project had begun.

>By the way, any of those Robots left?   :-)

When the Texas office was closed everything was sent to West Chester.
I recall three "robots" in the shipment (I think there was a fourth,
but I'm not sure...):

	1. A Heathkit Hero

	2. An CBM R2D2 lookalike:  This had a dome-shaped head which
	   concealed a monitor underneath.  Inside the robot was a
	   C-64.  Remote control.

	3. A rigid-foam model of an ET-clone robot.  Has to be seen to
	   be believed.  Stands about 4-feet high.  It was designed to
	   have a monitor where its face would have been.

I was infuriated to find that a misinformed employee "cleaned out" the
room in which the robots (and other stuff from Texas) was stored while
I was away at CES.  Much stuff was simply thrown away indescriminately,
including the Heathkit and R2D2 robots.  I heard that the R2D2 robot was
rescued from the trash and taken home by another employee.  The ET 'bot
is sitting in my office, even as I type...

--
Eric Cotton
Commodore-Amiga						      (215) 431-9100