[comp.sys.cbm] Source needed for C=128/1571 chip upgrades

glen@aecom.YU.EDU (Glen M. Marianko) (06/22/88)

I have come across much talk in the past few months about
ROM chip upgrades for 1571 drives (to prevent the 1/2 hour
wait when reading SSDD disks) and possibly some other upgrades
for other chips.  Anyone have a source for these chips,
like company name/address, or must one go through
(slow as molasses) commodore?

What is the complete list of chip upgrades available for all 128 products?

Thanks.

-- Glen Marianko
   glen@aecom.yu.edu

jonkatz@ga.ecn.purdue.edu (Jonathan W. Katz) (06/26/88)

In article <1855@aecom.YU.EDU> glen@aecom.YU.EDU (Glen M. Marianko) writes:
>I have come across much talk in the past few months about
>ROM chip upgrades for 1571 drives (to prevent the 1/2 hour
>wait when reading SSDD disks) and possibly some other upgrades
>for other chips.  Anyone have a source for these chips,
>like company name/address, or must one go through
>(slow as molasses) commodore?

I don't have the chip numbers but about a year ago I four chips directly
from Commodore.  (Three for the 128 and 1 for the 1571).
I have found only one program that the new rom chip for the 1571 doesn't
work with (GUNSHIP).  Other than that, they're great.

Jonathan W. Katz
Purdue University
School of Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering