[comp.sys.cbm] C64 interface, cartridge cards

Geoffrey_Welsh@isishq.UUCP (Geoffrey Welsh) (06/28/88)

 > From: aic@s.cc.purdue.edu (George A. Basar)

 > Date: 15 Jun 88 15:25:14 GMT

 >   I know this has been here before, but could someone post a circuit

 > description or reference a computer magazine article for a homebrew

 > C64-RS232 interface.

   An article on building a homebrew RS-232 interface appeared in the

Transactor not long ago.

   Anyway, you'll need voltage doublers using the AC lines of the user

port to generate +/- 10V to supply the RS-232 driver. I sugegst using
isolation capacitors between the user port AC lines and the voltage
doublers because the AC lines are NOT completely isolated from ground.

   Use a 1488 driver and a 1489 receiver. They provide 4 in and 4 out

lines, which should be sufficient for almost any applications.

   If you want more specific info, send netmail to:

   {...!}watmath!isishq!Geoffrey_Welsh

 >   Also, does anyone have a source for the 24 pin card edge

 > connectors

   You mean the 2 * 22 for the cartridge port? Vector part #3795 is

a perf board (just under 3" by 4") with correctly spaced pads. #3795-1
includes interspaced power and ground busses if all you want to do
is mount a few ICs (I found the layout to be a bit restrictive since
I like to put all sortsa stuff on the thing - I'm presently wiring
an 8250 UART while contributing support drivers for a terminal program).

   Geoff

   {allegra|decvax|utzoo|clyde|etc.!}watmath!isishq!Geoffrey_Welsh

   "Who needs a disclaimer? No one pays attention to me anyway!"