[comp.sys.cbm] C64 RS232 interface

aic@s.cc.purdue.edu (George A. Basar) (06/15/88)

  I know this has been here before, but could someone post a circuit
description or reference a computer magazine article for a homebrew
C64-RS232 interface.  I seem to remember one appearing in P.E. before it
changed over but am unable to find the article.
  Also, does anyone have a source for the 24 pin card edge connectors
Commodore was so kind to use.  I`ve been using the 44 pin card edge conns.
from RS but it gets tiresome cutting them in ~1/2.

					Thanx in advance

davef@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Dave Fiske) (06/16/88)

In article <3187@s.cc.purdue.edu>, aic@s.cc.purdue.edu (George A. Basar) writes:

>   Also, does anyone have a source for the 24 pin card edge connectors
> Commodore was so kind to use.  I`ve been using the 44 pin card edge conns.
> from RS but it gets tiresome cutting them in ~1/2.

I had given up on finding them (although I had heard of mail order
places that had 'em), but visited a local electronics supply store, and
lo and behold!  Cost me about $3.25, and I'm going to use it to make a
user port extender (I couldn't find any edge cards with only 24
contacts, though, so I still have to hack up a printed circuit board).

I had always thought I should look for the connectors in computer
stores, so I thought you couldn't get them.

I've cut some of the 44-pin connectors in "half", also, but a) it's
hard to properly insert the connector without bending over the computer
to line up the contacts, and b) one side of the connector ends up being
exposed, and I'm always worried about short circuits.

Anyway, try looking in the yellow pages under electronic supplies to
find a dealer in your area.
--
  "PARACHUTING GERBIL RAISES         Dave Fiske  (davef@brspyr1.BRS.COM)
   RUCKUS ON COLLEGE CAMPUS"         BRS Information Technologies, Latham, NY

simon@ms.uky.edu (George Simon) (06/19/88)

In article <3187@s.cc.purdue.edu> aic@s.cc.purdue.edu (George A. Basar) writes:

>  Also, does anyone have a source for the 24 pin card edge connectors
>Commodore was so kind to use.  I`ve been using the 44 pin card edge conns.
>from RS but it gets tiresome cutting them in ~1/2.
>
>					Thanx in advance

	I would just love to know if anyone makes ribbon cable connectors
	for the user port???  Please?

<-------------------------------------------------------------------------->
<---   Simon Gales@University of Ky 	            254-9387/257-3597 	--->
<---   			[ simon@ms.uky.edu ]  |  [ simon@UKMA.BITNET ]   		--->
<-------------------------------------------------------------------------->

davef@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Dave Fiske) (06/20/88)

In article <9702@e.ms.uky.edu>, simon@ms.uky.edu (George Simon) writes:
> 	I would just love to know if anyone makes ribbon cable connectors
> 	for the user port???  Please?

Yes, these are available.  I've seen ads in Run (and/or possibly Compute's
Gazette) for them.  When I get home tonight, I'll try and find the address,
price, etc.

Also, if you're handy with soldering, it's not that hard to make one.  I have
the stuff to do it at home, but haven't put it all together yet.  All you need
are a 24-connection card-edge connector (as mentioned in another posting, I
found out you can get these at electronic parts places), a length of ribbon
cable, a piece of printed circuit board with contacts (available cheaply at
Radio Shack, but they have to be cut to size), and at least one hobbyist box to
mount the PC board in.  Obviously, all you do is connect all the wires to the
same contacts on the PC board as you do to the card edge connector coming out
of the computer.  It really isn't that hard, and is lots cheaper.
--

davef@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Dave Fiske) (06/21/88)

In article <9702@e.ms.uky.edu>, simon@ms.uky.edu (George Simon) writes:
> In article <3187@s.cc.purdue.edu> aic@s.cc.purdue.edu (George A. Basar) writes:
> 	I would just love to know if anyone makes ribbon cable connectors
> 	for the user port???  Please?
I found the ad for the User Port extender cable:

"User Extender" - 10" ribbon cable extender for your Commodore user
port.  Order #5250 ..... $21.95 + shipping/handling

They also have an RS-232 adapter for the user port, for 19.95.

There's a lot of info on ordering that I won't include--call them
first.

Aprotek
1071-A Avenida Acaso
Camarillo, CA  93010

Info number:  (805)987-2454 (8-5, Pacif Time)

Order number: 1-800-962-5800 (outside CA)  (7-6, PT)
              1-800-962-3800 (within CA)

I have no connection with them, other than seeing their ad.
--
  "PARACHUTING GERBIL RAISES         Dave Fiske  (davef@brspyr1.BRS.COM)
   RUCKUS ON COLLEGE CAMPUS"         BRS Information Technologies, Latham, NY
                                     Home:  David_A_Fiske@cup.portal.com
Headline from Weekly World News             CIS: 75415,163  GEnie: davef

fritchie@stolaf.UUCP (Scott E. Fritchie) (06/29/88)

Check out "The Transactor", a magazine published in Canada.  The *only*
problem with the magazine (I urge all C64 and C128 owners to subscribe to
it) is that you cannot buy it anywhere -- you must subscribe to it...
Their phone number is (407) 878-8438.....

Anyway, if someone hasn't already mentioned it (news takes a while to get
here), the November '87 issue (Vol. 8, Issue 3) has the full scoop on
building one yourself.....

				-Scott Fritchie ... St. Olaf College
						Northfield, MN
UUCP: fritchie@stolaf -OR- {ihnp4,umn-cs}!stolaf!fritchie
... coming soon to a college near (?) you ... BITNET: fritchie@stolaf.BITNET
Acle (n.) --- The rogue pin which shirtmakers conceal in the most
improbable fold of a new shirt.  Its function is to stab you when you
don the garment.		--- Douglas Adams, "The Meaning of Liff"

John_-_DeBert@cup.portal.com (07/04/88)

In article 528@stolaf.UUCP, Scott Ritchie writes:

Check out "The Transactor", a magazine published in Canada.  The *only*
problem with the magazine (I urge all C64 and C128 owners to subscribe to
it) is that you cannot buy it anywhere -- you must subscribe to it...
Their phone number is (407) 878-8438.....
<<

Transactor did stop commercial
distribution for a time, due to the costs
of doing so but has resumed it, on what seems to be a limited manner.
Chances are that only one bookstore, especially a computer book/software
store will carry it in any area.

Good Hunting :)

J. DeBert
John - DeBert@cup.portal.com
         CIS: 75530,347
       Telex: 6502636614
    US Postal Snail:
 P.O. Box 51754, Pacific Grove, CA 93950-6754

dwl10@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (07/05/88)

In article <7100@cup.portal.com> John_-_DeBert@cup.portal.com writes:
 >Transactor did stop commercial
 >distribution for a time, due to the costs
 >of doing so but has resumed it, on what seems to be a limited manner.
 >Chances are that only one bookstore, especially a computer book/software
 >store will carry it in any area.

B. Dalton's "Software Etc." store in Houston carry Transactor. Don't know if
they do elsewheres. Remember that Transactor is published bi-monthly, so they
tend to run out of them before the next issue is published.

    "This isn't Heaven, this is Cleveland!!!!"

                          Dave Lowrey
                          Amdahl Corp.
                          Houston, Texas
                          (713)-850-8828
                         ...!{ames,sun,decwrl,uunet,....}!amdahl!dwl10

[ The opinions expressed <may> be those of the author and not necessarily
  those of his most eminent employer. ]