[comp.sys.cbm] 2400 Baud on a C64?

kenneke@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Ronald Reagan) (06/13/88)

( Line eater)

 I'm sure many other people have this same question:

  Is there any humanly possible way of exceeding 1200 baud on a C64? I have tried many terminal programs, and none has worked. Any information would help me out tremendously.

  Thanks,

  kenneke@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

slindahl@udenva.cair.du.edu (Steve J. Lindahl) (06/30/88)

In article <5087@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> kenneke@jacobs.cs.orst.edu
(Ronald Reagan) writes:
>( Line eater)
 burp

>  Is there any humanly possible way of exceeding 1200 baud on a C64? I have tried many terminal programs, and none has worked. Any information would help me out tremendously.

   I was wondering if there is anyway to get 9600 baud of 19200 baud from
the Commodore 64?  If so, who makes these modems?  What other interfaces
must be purchased to make this complete?  Will the phone lines handle these
communication rates?

--
Do not ask for fulfillment in all your life,  | slindahl@udenva.cair.du.edu
     but for patience to accept frustration.  | slindahl@ducair.BITNET

lfk@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Lynn Kerby) (06/30/88)

In article <10455@dutyche.cair.du.edu> slindahl@tyche.cair.du.edu.UUCP (Steve "Mr. Rourke" Lindahl) writes:
 >In article <5087@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> kenneke@jacobs.cs.orst.edu
 >(Ronald Reagan) writes:
 >>( Line eater)
 > burp
 >>
 >>  Is there any humanly possible way of exceeding 1200 baud on a C64? I have tried many terminal programs, and none has worked. Any information would help me out tremendously.
 >>
 >   I was wondering if there is anyway to get 9600 baud of 19200 baud from
 >the Commodore 64?  If so, who makes these modems?  What other interfaces
 >must be purchased to make this complete?  Will the phone lines handle these
 >communication rates?
 >
 >--
 >Do not ask for fulfillment in all your life,  | slindahl@udenva.cair.du.edu
 >     but for patience to accept frustration.  | slindahl@ducair.BITNET
 >                              - Brenda Short  | slindahl@dutyche.cair.du.edu

I think you will have a very tough time doing 9600 baud (let alone 19200)
with a C64.  There are several modems out that claim to support up to
about 19200 over ordinary phone lines.  I think they were described
and reviewed in a recent BYTE or Unix World.

As to answering the original question, I have run my C64 up to 4800 baud.
The latest version of Kermit (v2.1?) supports VT100 emulation and will
run at speeds up to 2400 baud.  Granted, you must use 2 stop bits on the
receiving end to run 2400 baud, but it does work.  The terminal emulation
in Paperclip III can support up to 4800 baud in bursts (again, use 2 stop
bits).
--
     Lynn Kerby  -  Amdahl Corporation
                    Sunnyvale, CA

Disclaimer: Any and all opinions expressed herein are my own and do not
            necessarily represent the views of anyone, especially my
            employer.

elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) (07/01/88)

In message <10455@dutyche.cair.du.edu>, slindahl@udenva.cair.du.edu (Steve J. Lindahl) says:
>In article <5087@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> kenneke@jacobs.cs.orst.edu
>>  Is there any humanly possible way of exceeding 1200 baud on a C64? I have tried many terminal programs, and none has worked. Any information would help me out tremendously.

I have had the (dis)pleasure of doing 2400 baud on a C-64. It's a
tight fit, but the C-64 can BARELY do it. I still end up with about a
20% error rate on Xmodem transfers, however.

The two terminal programs that I've used at 2400 baud on the C-64 are:
Bobsterm Pro (a commercial package), and CCGMS, a public domain
program that I downloaded from Q-LINK for comparison purposes. I've
also heard that Laserterm and several others will do 2400 baud, but, I
haven't found my PD terminals disks yet to test that out (a shame,
that it ends up being cheaper downloading them again, than trying to
find them in this gawdaweful mess!).

>   I was wondering if there is anyway to get 9600 baud of 19200 baud from
>the Commodore 64?  If so, who makes these modems?  What other interfaces
>must be purchased to make this complete?  Will the phone lines handle these
>communication rates?

I have done 9600 baud with a C-64. BUT, it requires a special hardware
UART. Last I heard, that particular project was in board layout stage
from a small manufacturer in, err, ah, Louisiana. I don't know how
much further it's gotten since I played with the wire-wrapped
prototype, transferring files at 9600 baud between Amiga and C-64,
though. I really doubt that it'll ever make it to market, except maybe
as a project in the Transactor, because of the limitations of the C-64.

The biggest problem is that 9600 baud is faster than the disk drive
will go -- and this was using a Pet/IEEE drive (8-bit parallel bus,
Skyles  interface, instead of serial interface). Not to mention that
screen display at 9600 baud is pretty impossible on a 1mhz 6502 (960
characters per second? hmm, that leaves, err, 100 cycles to input a
character and display it).

2400 baud seems to be end-of-the-road as far as the C-64 is concerned.
Good, I guess. When you're talking real modems, you might as well get
a real computer to go with it (heck, an Amiga 500 with a geen-skeen
makes an aweful nice terminal...).

--
Eric Lee Green    ..!{ames,decwrl,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!elg
          Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191 Lafayette, LA 70509

larry@sgistl.SGI.COM (Larry Autry) (07/02/88)

In article <4663@killer.UUCP>, elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) writes:
> In message <10455@dutyche.cair.du.edu>, slindahl@udenva.cair.du.edu (Steve J. Lindahl) says:
> >In article <5087@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> kenneke@jacobs.cs.orst.edu
> >>  Is there any humanly possible way of exceeding 1200 baud on a C64? I have tried many terminal programs, and none has worked. Any information would help me out tremendously.
>
> Skyles  interface, instead of serial interface). Not to mention that
> screen display at 9600 baud is pretty impossible on a 1mhz 6502 (960
> characters per second? hmm, that leaves, err, 100 cycles to input a
> character and display it).
Please explain how the Apple II performs this magic given that it has the
same 1 mhz 6502?  ( This is not an invitation to a hardware flame-fest
since the old OSI did the same magic).  I believe that it has much to do
with the screen driver.

--
					Larry Autry
larry@sgistl.sgi.com

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (07/04/88)

Yes, it has a lot to do with display speed.  Have you really seen
an Apple II do a good job keeping up with a scrolling display at
9600 baud?

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			Science, Technology, and Society
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

John_-_DeBert@cup.portal.com (07/04/88)

In article # 10455@dutyche.cair.du.edu,
Steve lindahl asks about 9600 baud and 19.2Kbaud modems for the C 64...

Sorry, but absolutely not. The C64 uses software to emulate a 6551 ACIA and is
incapable of any speeds above 4800 - 2400 with any reliability.

If you want higher speed, you'll have to do what I have done and build an ACIA
to plug into the cartridge port. (Mine is hooked to my Hazeltine, Hazel, so
I can do VT emulations/imitations.)

elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) (07/07/88)

In message <5640@sgistl.SGI.COM>, larry@sgistl.SGI.COM (Larry Autry) says:
>In article <4663@killer.UUCP>, elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) writes:
>> Skyles  interface, instead of serial interface). Not to mention that
>> screen display at 9600 baud is pretty impossible on a 1mhz 6502 (960
>> characters per second? hmm, that leaves, err, 100 cycles to input a
>> character and display it).
>Please explain how the Apple II performs this magic given that it has the
>same 1 mhz 6502?  ( This is not an invitation to a hardware flame-fest
>since the old OSI did the same magic).  I believe that it has much to do
>with the screen driver.
>
>--

1,000 clock cycles per byte. Darn. Lost a zero.

So it does appear that screen display could occur at 9600 baud (hey,
what am I saying, it DID occur at 9600 baud). However, scrolling could
not be done fast enough at 9600 baud (copying 1K of RAM in 1,000
cycles is impossible, obviously), which is the same situation that
faces people using Kermit-64's fake 80 columns at 1200 baud -- that
is, unpleasant, but still workable.

Ahwell, I plead overwork :-).

--
Eric Lee Green    ..!{ames,decwrl,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!elg
          Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191 Lafayette, LA 70509
       MISFORTUNE, n. The kind of fortune that never misses.