[comp.sys.cbm] Last call for votes on comp.binaries.cbm and comp.sources.cbm

ray@j.cc.purdue.edu (Ray Moody) (06/28/88)

    Voting for comp.binaries.cbm and comp.sources.cbm ends on the first of the
month, so this is your last chance.  Votes should be mailed to me.  Good
addresses to use are:

	ray@j.cc.purdue.edu
	pur-ee!j.cc.purdue.edu!ray

    Anyway, the current totals don't look good.  The binary group has 87
for votes and 46 against votes.  The sources group has 77 for votes and 28
against votes.  (For those of you that don't know, it takes 100 more yes
votes than no votes to create a group.)

    (I can't understand why there are so few votes...  Commodore machines
are alot more popular than apples, macs, and amigas, (and probably more popular
than all three put together).  There are binary and source groups for
apples, macs, and amigas.)

								Ray

In article <7325@j.cc.purdue.edu> ray@j.cc.purdue.edu (Ray Moody) writes:
>    (I can't understand why there are so few votes...  Commodore machines
>are alot more popular than apples, macs, and amigas, (and probably more popular
>than all three put together).  There are binary and source groups for
>apples, macs, and amigas.)

	A guess:  I would suspect that it has something to do with the fact
that there are so many #&^%!* different source code formats, depending on
whose assembler you use.

	Then there's also the PETASCII issue; where do you do the
conversion, if at all?  It's a big mess.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape  ihnp4!pacbell -\
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac
"Hmm, you're right.  Air is made up of suspended meat loaf."  -- Josh Siegel

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (06/30/88)

In article <6409@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>	A guess:  I would suspect that it has something to do with the fact
>that there are so many #&^%!* different source code formats, depending on
>whose assembler you use.

There is an "official" source code format, namely the one supported by
the CBM assembler, my own PAL assembler and its clones.  Not that this
will stop people from providing stuff in different formats.

The official format is:
	Free Format (no indent required)
	All 6502 opcodes reserved words
	=, *=, .byte, .word, .end  are official pseudo-ops
	Address mode formats as in the books, ie:  (addr),y
	and "rol a"

Of course, I and most others added far more than this to the various
assemblers.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) (07/02/88)

In message <1800@looking.UUCP>, brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) says:
>There is an "official" source code format, namely the one supported by
>the CBM assembler, my own PAL assembler and its clones.  Not that this
>will stop people from providing stuff in different formats.

Err, last, I heard, PAL used tokenised BASIC program files for its
storage format, not text. Is that REALLY an "official" source code
format? Not to mention that I have had absolutely no success cranking
PAL code through the CBM assembler, for one simple reason:

     SIX-CHARACTER LABELS.

Most PAL programs use REAL labels, which the CBM assembler barfs on.

Not to mention that PAL's  pseudo-ops are totally different from the
CBM assembler's.... but you already knew that.

>The official format is:
>	Free Format (no indent required)

Broken, in Commodore's new assembler in the 128 Devpac

>	All 6502 opcodes reserved words
>	=, *=, .byte, .word, .end  are official pseudo-ops
>	Address mode formats as in the books, ie:  (addr),y
>	and "rol a"

Those all seem fairly good. Except for "rol a". I keep banging my head
against that instruction as I wobble crazily from assembler to
assembler (at last count, 5 different assemblers that at one time or
another I've worked with regularly). I can never remember which ones
want "rol a" and which ones want just plain "rol".

Actually, it's fairly easy to convert something from one assembler to
another. The problem comes when they use special features of their
particular assembler... such as PAL's .goto's, CASSM's #if, HCD65's
"local labels".... or when you're wanting to go backwards to the CBM
assembler (where you run into the 6-character-label lamppost).

--
Eric Lee Green    ..!{ames,decwrl,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!elg
          Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191 Lafayette, LA 70509

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (07/04/88)

Yes, we all put different extensions into our assemblers, many of them
useful, but there is a standard format.  That format should be handled
by the largest variety of assemblers.  It may only allow 6 character
labels, and that's a pain, but it's the only format that will go through
several.

(You can import text files into PAL's use of Basic source if you line
number the file and use the redirection of input trick well known on
PETS etc. for merging files.  You can even use auto line number mode
in various packages that do this.  I won't mention one famous one. :-)

Of course, that this portable format exists will probably not make anybody
put there posted programs in it, so there isn't a good solution.  I know
of at least one PAL compatible assembler called Buddy.  Do not buy the
"Assembler/Monitor 64" from Data Becker, which is a pirated PAL.  (As far
as I know this doesn't reflect on other Abacus products.)
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) (07/07/88)

In message <1808@looking.UUCP>, brad@looking.UUCP says:
>by the largest variety of assemblers.  It may only allow 6 character
>labels, and that's a pain, but it's the only format that will go through
>several.

And I, for one, will never post a file with 6-character labels! I gave
up that kind of torture long ago... somewhere after I gave up using
1541's for program development, I think :-). I'm not enough of a
sado-masochist to submit myself to that kind of torture....

HOWEVER: There IS a solution. A long LOOONG time ago, I wrote a
preprocessor for the Commodore assembler that would take long labels
and squash them down into short nonsense-looking labels. I don't think
I have it anymore, that was hmmmm 1983? 1984?, but, it wasn't all
that difficult of a program to write (not all that difficult? Wha's
this guy on, you ask? Well, my guru had just taught me about state
diagrams and state machines...).

>put there posted programs in it, so there isn't a good solution.  I know
>of at least one PAL compatible assembler called Buddy.  Do not buy the
>"Assembler/Monitor 64" from Data Becker, which is a pirated PAL.  (As far
>as I know this doesn't reflect on other Abacus products.)

As far as *I* know, it DOES. Every Abacus product that I have ever
seen, with the possible exception of their BASIC compiler (which is
merely excrutiatingly slow), has been a pile of garbage. Their "C" is
a joke, their books are only marginally useful (does save a little
paper compared to printing out my own disassemblies, though), their
Pascal compiler barfs on spaces in the wrong places.........

--
Eric Lee Green    ..!{ames,decwrl,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!elg
          Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191 Lafayette, LA 70509
       MISFORTUNE, n. The kind of fortune that never misses.