[comp.sys.cbm] Broken CBM Drive

desmarai@iros14.iro.umontreal.ca (Stephane Desmarais) (08/12/88)

In article <3341@alvin.mcnc.org> drain@mcnc.org (Jerome Drain) writes:
>I am having a little problem, my serial bus is messed up, I believe. When I
>hold the cable in the serial bus and lift up on it, or get it in the perfect
>position the drive will load, but that is cumbersome after 10 seconds, anyway
>once I let it go or if the cable moves it stops loading.
>[...] It is not the cable because I
>have replaced the cable several times.  Any help would be appreciated!
>Thanks in advance.

I had the same problem.  I thought that the contacts were dirty, and cleaned
them, but it didn't work.  I endured that problem until recently, when
I had to open my 64 for another reason.  Well, as the 64 is open, I told
myself, I'll look at the serial bus socket.  And, sure enough, a good part of
the solder had gone away.  No wonder there was a bad contact!  All that
is necessary is to resolder it (or have a technician do i).  Oh, by the
way, I will not take the responsability if you break your 64 when you
open it :-).

P.S.  Your posting wasn't too clear as to if you had to lift the cable near
      the 64 of the disk drive.  I suppose the same thing could happen with
      the drive sockets.  (In fact, you may not even have a 64.  A C-16
      maybe? 8^)

--
Stephane M. Desmarais        desmarais@iro.umontreal.ca   (le Domaine Canadien)
Departement d'informatique   desmarais%iro.umontreal.ca@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu