[comp.sys.cbm] C-64 music - MIDI?

kenb@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Ken Bright) (08/13/88)

So, how can I use a C-64 for music? I recall alot of "discussion"
about a year ago arguing over which was best, an Atari or Amiga,
for MIDI music. How 'bout the C-64, can I put a MIDI interface on it?
Any recommendations?

--

Ken Bright    (408)435-3789   or (408)293-0570
kenb@Convergent.COM

czei@accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael S. Czeiszperger) (08/15/88)

In article <449@mitisft.Convergent.COM> kenb@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Ken Bright) writes:

>So, how can I use a C-64 for music? I recall alot of "discussion"
>about a year ago arguing over which was best, an Atari or Amiga,
>for MIDI music. How 'bout the C-64, can I put a MIDI interface on it?
>Any recommendations?

I own a C-64 MIDI setup with Dr. T's KCS sequencer and a "Model T"
interface.  The sequencer costs around $100 and the interface was $90,
but I definately think it was worth the money.  Personally, I like
the simple C64 version of KCS much better than the Atari version,
because the Atari version has an incredibly non-intuitive user
interface.  At least the C64 program has a menu, so you can figure
out how to do everything by reading the options. The only drawback
to the program is the low resolution per quarter-note.

This setup was used to create the music for the film Vision Obious,
winner in the "music visualization" category in the 1987 National
Computer Graphics Association's juried exhibit, as well as a
3rd place entry in Yamaha's 1987 "Works on Disk" contest for the
TX816.

I was considering selling the C64 MIDI setup now that I have a
mac, but the Mac KCS is just a port of the Atari version which
I don't like.  It will be a long while until the mac version
is usable.

--
Michael S. Czeiszperger    | "The only good composer is a dead composer"
Systems Analyst            | Snail: 2015 Neil Avenue         (614)