[comp.sys.cbm] C-Power Assembler: did I miss something?

mclek@sunb.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) (08/31/88)

While my Amiga is in the shop with a fried serial port, I got my C128 back
out and started wiping out my old to-do list.  First on the agenda was getting
the C-Power-compatible assembler out of the archive & getting it working.
(From experience w/CBM-authorized repair centers, I know I have a while to
wait.)

Urk... in openfile.c, there is a reference to a "device(dvc)" call which
shows up nowhere else.  The linker wanted to know where it is, and I have
no earthly idea.  The fopen() routine recognizes the C-Power shell's device
numbers (0: to 3:), so what is device() for?  Anyone remember, before I go
in hacking openfile()?

Thanks in advance, of course.  And in order to poke a little fun at myself
and my Amiga, I leave you with a quote plagarized from a Hyundai commercial:

	"So where IS that hot new computer of yours?"
	"Uh, well....  It's in the shop."

Larry Kollar	...!gatech!dcatla!mclek

dwl10@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (08/31/88)

In article <8612@sunb.UUCP> mclek@sunb.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) writes:
>While my Amiga is in the shop with a fried serial port, I got my C128 back
>out and started wiping out my old to-do list.  First on the agenda was getting
>the C-Power-compatible assembler out of the archive & getting it working.
>(From experience w/CBM-authorized repair centers, I know I have a while to
>wait.)
>
>Urk... in openfile.c, there is a reference to a "device(dvc)" call which
>shows up nowhere else.  The linker wanted to know where it is, and I have
>no earthly idea.  The fopen() routine recognizes the C-Power shell's device
>numbers (0: to 3:), so what is device() for?  Anyone remember, before I go
>in hacking openfile()?
>
>Thanks in advance, of course.  And in order to poke a little fun at myself
>and my Amiga, I leave you with a quote plagarized from a Hyundai commercial:
>
>	"So where IS that hot new computer of yours?"
>	"Uh, well....  It's in the shop."
>
>Larry Kollar	...!gatech!dcatla!mclek

Openfile was written for C-POWER 64 so that a person could specify a
device number for the file. As you mentioned above, this is no longer
necessary in POWER-C 128. When I convrted the assembler to the 128, I just
changed the openfile() calls to fopen() calls. Works great! (Especially
if you are in 80 column mode, then you run with the "fast" clock).

    "This isn't Heaven, this is Cleveland!!!!"

                          Dave Lowrey
                          Amdahl Corp.
                          Houston, Texas
                          (713)-850-8828
                         ...!{ames,sun,decwrl,uunet,....}!amdahl!dwl10

[ The opinions expressed <may> be those of the author and not necessarily
  those of his most eminent employer. ]