[comp.sys.cbm] c64 simulator on pc

haviland@uvm-gen.UUCP (Tom Haviland) (09/02/88)

This may sound like a weird request, but...does anyone out there have a
c64 simulator that runs on an ibmpc compatible?  Any help greatly
appreciated.

                           tom

--
	 					Thomas P. Haviland
Usenet: haviland@uvm-gen.uucp  		 	University of Vermont

Geoffrey_Welsh@isishq.UUCP (Geoffrey Welsh) (09/04/88)

 > From: haviland@uvm-gen.UUCP (Tom Haviland)
 > Date: 2 Sep 88 14:40:09 GMT

 > This may sound like a weird request, but...does anyone
 > out there have a
 > c64 simulator that runs on an ibmpc compatible?

   Don't hold your breath. 64 emulators are difficult to write from

the beginning because of the amount of custom hardware in the computer
to begin with. Life is made that much more difficult when you realize
that a 4.77 MHz 8088 is slower than a 1.02 MHz 6510 in some situations,
so any attempt to emulate the 6510 on a PClone would run into all sorts
of speed problems - you'd probably never find a PC that ran "just the
right speed" to emulate a 64.

   I don't think that IBM PC floppy controllers can handle the GCR

encoding scheme used by Commodore drives, and hooking a 1541 to a PClone
comes up with all sorts of new problems, since that serial bus is painfully
timing-sensitive and PC speeds vary dramatically from PC Jr. to Step
386/25 (and the 32-MHz motherboards coming out now!).

   No, it's not a WIERD request... someone would have asked eventually.

There may even be an emulator out there, but I'd be awfully surprised!

   Geoff ( watmath!isishq!izot )

   One of the benefits of being unemployed is that you don't have to
remind people that your opinions are not necessarily your employer's!