[comp.sys.cbm] Develop-64

holloway@clio.las.uiuc.edu (09/21/88)

A friend of mine has been looking for a piece of software called Develop-64.
All I know is that the program is an environment of some kind for the C64,
that allows one to directly access the 6510 in a very convenient manner.

Any information on the program or on where I could get it would be greatly
appreciated.

			Bryan Holloway

			holloway@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!holloway

emjay@dasys1.UUCP (Michael J. Lavery) (09/26/88)

In article <16700022@clio>, holloway@clio.las.uiuc.edu writes:

> A friend of mine has been looking for a piece of software called Develop-64.
> All I know is that the program is an environment of some kind for the C64,
> that allows one to directly access the 6510 in a very convenient manner.

	DEVELOP-64 was an assembler for the Commodore 64; I believe that
it is no longer available.

	DEVELOP-64 was written by Don French and began life as French
Silk.  The first version was written for the Apple.  The name was then
changed to Develop.  Up to Version 3, it was written in BASIC.  V4
seems to be in compiled Basic.  The name was again changed to The Machine
Shop.  THen it became available as shareware and there was to be a
companion magazine for ML programmers issued.  I don't know if this
ever took place.  Don French seems to have vanished.  A note in INFO
about a year ago indicated that his company had gone down the tubes.

	I have Version 3 and 4; it is not in my list of the top 4
assemblers.  In its time, the utilities were good, but the package
has been passed by.

	The only advantage that I can see for this particular package
is that there is a text using it:Commodore 64 Assembly Language by
W. Douglas Maurer,Computer Science Press,Rockville, MD, 1985.  I have
no information as to whether this book is still in print.

	Hope this helps.

--
Michael J. Lavery
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX