[comp.sys.cbm] 3 Paperclip III questions...

zz96sr@net1.ucsd.edu (Steve Rusk) (09/30/88)

     If there are any Paperclip III users out there.......

     1.  Does Paperclip III support serial printers?

                   Yes     No

     2.  What method of copy protection does Paperclip III use?

              None     Dongle     Disk

     3.  Are files created by the original Paperclip compatible
         with Paperclip III?

                   Yes     No

                                        Thanks in Advance
                                           Steve

dennisf@marque.mu.edu (Dennis Flaherty) (10/01/88)

In article <1170@ucsd.EDU> zz96sr@net1.ucsd.edu (Steve Rusk) writes:

>      If there are any Paperclip III users out there.......
>
>      1.  Does Paperclip III support serial printers?
>                    Yes     No
YES!  It supports the following, from my documentation:
C-1515     Epson MX Series           Okidata ML82/82A/83A
C-1525     Epson MX II Series        Okidata ML84,ML92
MPS-801     (Graftrax Plus)          Okimate 10,120?
C-1526     Epson FX and RX Series    NEC PC8023A
MPS-802    Epson LQ1500              NEC Spinwriter 5530/7730
MPP-1361   Epson LX80                NEC Pinwriter P6/P7
MPS-1000   Gemini 10/10X             C.Itoh 8510A,1550
MPS-803    Gemini 15/15X             Seikosha GP-550CD
Centrnics 737               Silver Reed EXP400,500
Canon 1080A                 Commodore PETSCII
Citizen MSP-10/15           True ASCII
Citizen MSP-20/25           True ASCII with backspace
Mannesman Tally MT160       Diablo Compatible Printers
Blue Chip M120/10
Juki 6000,6100
Panasonic KXP1090,1091

>      2.  What method of copy protection does Paperclip III use?
>               None     Dongle     Disk
None.  PCIII includes a copy program for those who don't have
their own, so the owner can make backups.

>      3.  Are files created by the original Paperclip compatible
>          with Paperclip III?
>                    Yes     No
Yes, you can even load files from other wordprocessors.  However,
there is no mention in the documentation as to whether old files
can be simply loaded and processed without any modification.

Generally, I'm really happy with PCIII.  I run my backup on
my C-128 and I'm convinced it has every feature the others have.
I particularly like the wordwrap, spell-checker, menus, and the
capibility to print the output to a file that I can upload to my
university's computers (using kermit; the built-in terminal
package doesn't handle vt100 escape sequences and only uses
xmodem).  It uses the RGB screen to show an 80-by-50 video
preview-- yes, that's 50 rows.

What leaves much to be desired is the editor; while
I can open and delete lines, PCIII only lets me move around
one character at a time, up, down, left, or right, or by
one screenful up or down, or to the beginning/end of the buffer.
I'd like to move to the end/beginning of a line or sentence or
paragraph.  I've discovered other nuisances with inserting
tabs and CRs.  Perhaps the unix editors have spoiled me.:-)

The program has so many features that to do justice to PCIII
would be to show you the 200-page manual.  Hope this helps.
--
Dennis Flaherty,  Marquette University ,-------------------------------
dennisf%marque@csd1.milw.wisc.edu     /    "The best diplomat I know is

dwl10@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (10/03/88)

In article <1170@ucsd.EDU> zz96sr@net1.ucsd.edu (Steve Rusk) writes:

>     If there are any Paperclip III users out there.......
>
>     1.  Does Paperclip III support serial printers?
>
>                   Yes     No

I believe it does.

>     2.  What method of copy protection does Paperclip III use?
>
>              None     Dongle     Disk

None. I am running mine off of a 1581 disk.

>     3.  Are files created by the original Paperclip compatible
>         with Paperclip III?
>
>                   Yes     No

Yes, but if you use headers and footers, you will probably want to update
your source to use the new, better, format.

>                                        Thanks in Advance
>                                           Steve
I am running paper clip 3 on my 128. It will run in 80 column mode, if you
have an RGB monitor, or 40 column mode.

Using my 1581 disk drive, it runs fast!

.

    "This isn't Heaven, this is Cleveland!!!!"

                          Dave Lowrey
                          Amdahl Corp.
                          Houston, Texas
                          (713)-850-8828
                         ...!{ames,sun,decwrl,uunet,....}!amdahl!dwl10

[ The opinions expressed <may> be those of the author and not necessarily
  those of his most eminent employer. ]

Geoffrey.Welsh@isishq.FIDONET.ORG (Geoffrey Welsh) (10/04/88)

 > From: zz96sr@net1.ucsd.edu (Steve Rusk)
 > Date: 30 Sep 88 14:11:26 GMT

 >      If there are any Paperclip III users out there.......

   I worked with Steve Douglas on PaperClips II and III until about

a year ago.

 >      1.  Does Paperclip III support serial printers?

   YES. It's configurable in a menu, and the configurations can be

saved to disk so that they become default in the future.

   The maximum speed you can run a serial printer at depends on your

machine; the C128 in 80-column mode will allow you to run 9600 (the
top speed supported in the telecom module) and, although you might
be able to set the baud rate as high as 7200 in 40-column mode (or
on C64s), I don't suggest going above 4800 (3600 for safety). I recently
wrote some much better code that would have allowed higher transfer
rates, but Steve turned them down, saying that there really wasn't
much justification for adding them at this point. This shouldn't be
a problem, since I don't expect to find PaperClip connected to too
many printers that can run more than 300 CPS anyway...

 > 2.  What method of copy protection does Paperclip III use?

   Trust. EA wanted to use a key disk system, but we found that it

had a 25% failure rate in OUR 1541's, which were scrupulously maintained
(read: never used). We shuddered to think of the failure rate out there

in a public of badly aligned drives.

   Disk copy protection was out, since we wanted to allow users to

back up the disk. Dongles were prohibitively expensive - by the time
they got through the markups at every step of the marketing chain,
they added $10 or more to the shelf price of the product, so they were
scrapped.

 >      3.  Are files created by the original Paperclip compatible
 >          with Paperclip III?

   Definitely. And, in addition to PaperClip's long-standing abilty

to write text to sequential files, you now have the ability to save
them in TRUE ASCII.

   Geoff ( watmath!isishq!izot )

NOTE: I'm not worried. Who would ever want to sue ME?

--
 Geoffrey Welsh - via FidoNet node 1:221/162
     UUCP: ...!watmath!isishq!Geoffrey.Welsh