[comp.sys.cbm] Is the 1670 a "dumb" modem?

linton@engr.uky.edu (Tracy Gust) (09/14/88)

 I have a Commodore 1670 Hayes-compat 1200 baud modem with my 64.
 Ever since I bought this modem a year ago, it has had the habit
 of pre-maturely answering the telephone that is hooked up to it.
 In other words, if I am playing a video game and the phone rings,
 the modem will answer and treat the caller to computer whistling.
 I have gone through the book looking for a way to shut off this
 auto-answer, but the book doesn't mention a way of doing it via
 dip-switches, just the AT command for when you are running a
 communications program.  This isn't the only problem I am having.
 If I pick up the phone itself to make a phone call, and the
 computer is on, the modem will dial with me and about half way
 through the dialing process start whistling.  I can understand
 that happening if maybe I am running a communications program,
 but the crazy modem does it when in BASIC mode or running a game.

 I have many friends with Hayes-compat modems (not commmodore) and
 they don't have this problem.  Is it something typical of Commodore
 modems, or do i have a modem with a mind of its own?  Anyone else
 have this problem?

 Tracy

--
Paul J. Linton     UUCP: cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!linton
		   CSNET: linton@engr.uky.edu

chad@lakesys.UUCP (Chad Gibbons) (09/15/88)

In article <2661@ukecc.engr.uky.edu> linton@engr.uky.edu (Tracy Gust) writes:

| I have a Commodore 1670 Hayes-compat 1200 baud modem with my 64.
| Ever since I bought this modem a year ago, it has had the habit
| of pre-maturely answering the telephone that is hooked up to it.
| In other words, if I am playing a video game and the phone rings,
| the modem will answer and treat the caller to computer whistling.
| I have gone through the book looking for a way to shut off this
| auto-answer, but the book doesn't mention a way of doing it via
| dip-switches, just the AT command for when you are running a
| communications program.  This isn't the only problem I am having.
| If I pick up the phone itself to make a phone call, and the
| computer is on, the modem will dial with me and about half way
| through the dialing process start whistling.  I can understand
| that happening if maybe I am running a communications program,
| but the crazy modem does it when in BASIC mode or running a game.

        Every 1670 model modem I have ever used has been the same. It suffers
from being too sensitive, and a host of other problems. The best thing to do
is everytime you turn on your computer send this basic command:

        open2,2,0,chr$(6),"ats0=0":close2

This is the correct open statement, but feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
This is generally the best way to turn off the answering mechanism of the
modem, save unplugging the modem, or disconnecting the line from it.

        The 1670 isn't really "Hayes compatible" per se. It suffers too many
problems and has too many bugs to be considered such. It only has about half
the command set; commands have to be in upper case (at least on all the modems
I have seen); it's too sensitive; and generally has a terrible speaker.
Considering everything, it's a great idea to just buy a Hayes modem itself,
and then buy a $40 interface. All in all, it solves alot of problems.

--
Chad Gibbons           | System addresses:
1750 N. Hi-Mount Blvd. |        UUCP:   {backbone,uunet}!marque!lakesys!chad

emjay@dasys1.UUCP (Michael J. Lavery) (09/15/88)

In article <2661@ukecc.engr.uky.edu> linton@engr.uky.edu (Tracy Gust) writes:

> I have a Commodore 1670 Hayes-compat 1200 baud modem with my 64.
> Ever since I bought this modem a year ago, it has had the habit
> of pre-maturely answering the telephone that is hooked up to it.
>
> I have many friends with Hayes-compat modems (not commmodore) and
> they don't have this problem.  Is it something typical of Commodore
> modems, or do i have a modem with a mind of its own?  Anyone else
> have this problem?

	The problem you mention is one that is true of the early 1670
modems.  The 1670 is only partly Hayes compatable.  The early 1670's
(which appears to be yours and mine) disable auto-answer only by use
of an AT command.  Current 1670's do have a dip-switch to disable.

	As an aside, only a few of the "Hayes" commands were put in
when the modem was released, but the cost was $170-190 compaired
with a then Hayes cost of $400+.  Part of this is a function of
the economics.

--
Michael J. Lavery
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX

Doug-128@cup.portal.com (10/10/88)

Tracy

I use that modem with a 128 and the problem is, it doesn't have an on/off
switch as do some other Hayes modems for other computers.  I just unplug
the phone cord at the wallplug on mine because its right behind the computer.
Real convenient.  I have also seen programs in magazines which you run BEFORE
using your computer that keeps the modem from answering while you are using
the puter for things other than telecomputing.  Check around.  Maybe you can
find one of these.

Doug