[comp.sys.cbm] Another 1541 repair question

billh@hplsla.HP.COM (Bill Harris) (11/18/88)

I have a 1541 with the front closure handle that rotates to hold a  disk in
place.  That handle  has given me  problems twice  in the last  few months.
Each time, it becomes disconnected from the internal mechanism.

It is  relatively easy  to repair.  That external lever  is connected  to a
shaft that has another, shorter lever at the other end.  At the end of that
shorter lever there  is a pin that protrudes  to engage the mechanism  that
captures the hub of the  disk.  This pin  was apparently press-fit into the
lever, and it is now loose.  When the pin slides far enough into the lever,
it no longer contacts the mechanism, and I have to fix it.

While it is easy enough to open the case,  push the pin  back in, and close
it all up again, I would like to fix it permanently.  Does anyone know of a
reason I can't glue the pin in place?  Has anyone seen this problem before?

Thanks,

Bill Harris

bah@tippy.uucp (11/21/88)

I see nothing wrong in gluing it. But I have changed a couple of those
pins since they can be found in any hardware store. Most are a little
too long, so just clip off the excess. I believe they are called
'compression or friction' pins. To be safe, take the original along
and match it. The new one will be tight.

    Bob Hahn        ....ihnp4!itivax!duncan!bah

tiger@agora.UUCP (Kelly Baxter) (11/22/88)

In article <6580010@hplsla.HP.COM> billh@hplsla.HP.COM (Bill Harris) writes:

<line eater had brunch>

> While it is easy enough to open the case,  push the pin  back in, and close
> it all up again, I would like to fix it permanently.  Does anyone know of a
> reason I can't glue the pin in place?  Has anyone seen this problem before?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill Harris

Of course there is no problem with gluing the pin in place.  It doesn't rotate
when it comes in contact with the hub of the disk head platform.  Just using
good 'ol cyanoacrylate (Krazy-Glu) will do the trick!
| tiger (Kelly Baxter)                  | Advanced Solutions, Hillsboro, OR   |
| tiger@agora.hf.intel.COM              |                                     |
| ..!tektronix!tessi!agora!tiger        | CompuServe: 74775,1545              |