[comp.sys.cbm] Commodore Printer Connection

tanya@adds.newyork.NCR.COM (Tanya Katz) (12/16/88)

Dan:

regarding the printer connections for the Commodore C64:

>Someone has asked me how to connect a standard parellel printer to a Commodore  64.  I understand that the C-64 does not have a standard Centronics port, and
>that some sort of interface is required.  Does anyone know anything about this?
>Where to get it, how much it costs, etc.?  I would appreciate any help.

I am posting this answer because the mail router kept sending
this mail to Columbia, S.C. on the NCR-link.

The C-64 supports a serial printer with a "commodore" connector.
It is piggy-backed off the disk-drive, and uses the same serial
din pin arrangement as the disk-drive.  Several printer companies
make Commodore ready serial printers that are reasonable.

There are several interfaces "cards" that are available that convert
serial to parallel for the Commodore.  They connect both
to the serial-port (or daisy chained to the disk-drive if you have one)
and the game-port edge card.  Cardco makes one, and so does Data Share.
They run anywhere between $40 to $70.  Toys-R-Us used to sell the Cardco.

Xetec also makes the Super-Graphics (costly approx $80, I think)
and they also make some cheaper models.   The more expensive ones
have character font converters that enhance the output.

Compute Gazette has advertisements for these products, too.

I have the PPI product by Data Share with my Star SG10 printer.
The printer seems to like it.  Print shop also likes it.
I had a problem once so I called them up & they
were very helpful.  The one thing that I don't like is the power
connector is very flimsy and has already needed to be resoldered.

If you are interested in more specific detail about this
particular product, I can lookup the information at home.
I purchased it in a local Consumer's type store catering to
Commodore Users, and I have it about 3 years.

Hope this helps!  And I hope you get this...
	Tanya

      ###   ######  ######   #####     US MAIL: Tanya Katz
     #   #  #     # #     # #                   ADDS, Inc.
    #     # #     # #     #  #####              100 Marcus Blvd.
    ####### #     # #     #       #             Hauppauge, N.Y. 11788
    #     # ######  ######   #####  	 UUCP : ncrlnk!adds!tanya
					        tanya.katz@adds.newyork.NCR.COM
    Applied Digital Data Systems, Inc.   PHONE: (516) 231-5400 X430