[comp.sys.cbm] Parallel Printer Connection

benderly@cs.columbia.edu (Dan Benderly) (12/14/88)

Someone has asked me how to connect a standard parellel printer to a Commodore  64.  I understand that the C-64 does not have a standard Centronics port, and
that some sort of interface is required.  Does anyone know anything about this?
Where to get it, how much it costs, etc.?  I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Dan

P.S.  Please E-Mail responses, as this isn't a group I normally read (though I will check it periodically).

benderly@cs.columbia.edu

Geoffrey.Welsh@isishq.FIDONET.ORG (Geoffrey Welsh) (12/16/88)

 > From: benderly@cs.columbia.edu (Dan Benderly)

 > Someone has asked me how to connect a standard parellel
 > printer to a Commodore  64.  I understand that the C-64
 > does not have a standard Centronics port, and
 > that some sort of interface is required.  Does anyone know
 > anything about this?

   You basically have two choices - a Commodore serial to parallel

converter or a cable connected to the C64's parallel user port. The
latter is much less expensive (a couple of connectors plus some cable),
but isn't supported by all software (I know that PaperClip II and III
support it but I'm biased when it comes to word processors (Bv>).

   If you want a complete interface that will work with just about

anything, I suggest devices like the Xetec Super Grafix or the CardCo
interface boxes. I have used a Super Grafix Jr. and was pleased with
it.

--
 Geoffrey Welsh - via FidoNet node 1:221/162
     UUCP: ...!watmath!isishq!Geoffrey.Welsh