[comp.sys.cbm] What the horse has to say about it.

A-N-Onymouse@cup.portal.com (John - DeBert) (01/01/89)

In article #990.23AFEC52@isishq.FIDONET.ORG, Geoffrey Welsh writes:

> > From: mat@emcard.UUCP (Mat Waites)
>
> > Has anyone heard anything about the status of 8 bit Transactor?
>
>   I spoke to Richard Evers (publisher of the T.) at the World of Commodore
>
>show a couple of weeks ago. Commodore Computing International has bought
>out at least the 8-bit edition of the T. and publication will resume
>ASAP. To the best of my knowledge, editorial policy will not change
>suddenly, nor will management.
>
> > Waiting for my article to be published,
>
>   That should only be a matter of time but, if you've ever seen their
>
>office, you'll understand that things might get misplaced once in a
>while. It never hurts to re-send the article with a letter explaining
>that you wanted to make sure they had it. But please do wait a reasonable
>amount of time (i.e. several months) before re-submitting... editorial
>lead time and mail result in many delays from their inclusion of your
>article to the time you get a copy of the mag with the article in it.
>

>--
> Geoffrey Welsh - via FidoNet node 1:221/162
>     UUCP: ...!watmath!isishq!Geoffrey.Welsh
> Internet: Geoffrey.Welsh@isishq.FIDONET.ORG

I received this letter from Transactor Publishing today regarding the state
of Transactor:

Date:  30-Dec-88 21:54 PST
From:  Transactor HQ
Subj:  Rumours from USenet
Hi John:
Thank you for posting this reply to the net.
As you have noted, the December issue (9:2) has now been distributed. At
World of Commodore in Toronto (Dec. 1-4) we had 9:2 of Transactor as
well as 1:3 and 1:4 of TransAmi.
Croftward Publishing (who does indeed publish Commodore Computing
International and Amiga User International) are now printing, distributing,
selling ads, handling the sub base and all those other admin things.
Transactor Publishing (Chris, Nick and I) are still making the magazines.
We evaluate submissions, edit them, set them and send them out for final
output. Once we get the film back, Croftward carries the ball from there.
We are currently putting together 9:3 of Transactor and have every intention
of continuing the magazine as long as there is a demand for it. We are still
receiving good submissions (though at a slower rate since our summertime
travails). We still have a large pool of submissions to draw from and a
large number of past, present and potential authors. I hope to get some
new authors soon too. We have a couple of ideas "in the can" that we
think readers will be pleased with and of course we have two new columns.
We have Todd Heimarck doing The ML Column and Joel Rubin doing The Edge
Connection. We've just started on GEOS and there's a lot of territory to
cover there. And we keep on getting submissions on Power C, CP/M, C128
specific articles, etc.
Our new arrangement with Croftward has worked out well. It means that we
spend our whole lives making magazines <grin>. We did 4 mags in 6 weeks!
We know that Max Jacobson is downstairs selling ads - something we were
never good at. Ad revenue is the lifeblood of most magazines and our
increase in ad sales is a shot in the arm.
It's true that the Amiga is where the spotlight (read: money) is these
days but we're (Transactor & Croftward) not about to let Transactor Classic
fall by the wayside. There's still a demand for it. You probably know
yourself of people who have switched from a 64 or 128 to an Amiga (or to
a clone <shudder>). We've lost some of our market for T there. But word is
that C= sold more 64's in 1988 than they did in '87! Make sure that all
those new owners know about Transactor! As long as there are people to read
T (and vendors to advertise in it), we'll keep making Transactors for 8-bit
users.
Hope that says it all, John, cause I gotta get back to work on 9:3!
Malcolm O'Brien
Editor, Transactor

And that's the story.

JJD (A-N-Onymouse@cup.portal.com)