[comp.sys.cbm] Parallel Disk Interface

mitch@manta.NOSC.MIL (Ray Mitchell) (01/04/89)

Does anyone know anything about any modifications to the Commodore 64
to permit the use of a parallel interface to the disk drive? Anything
would be appreciated.
				Thanks,
				Ray Mitchell
				.
				.

hxh@hal.UUCP (Howard Hermann) (01/06/89)

In article <420@manta.NOSC.MIL> mitch@manta.NOSC.MIL (Ray Mitchell) writes:
>Does anyone know anything about any modifications to the Commodore 64
>to permit the use of a parallel interface to the disk drive? Anything
>would be appreciated.
>				Thanks,
>				Ray Mitchell
>				.
>				.

Datel Computers advertises in RUN a Deep Scan Burst Nibbler, selling for
$39.99 that uses a parallel cable from drive to computer.  Their telephone
number for orders: 1-800-782-9110, and for tech support: 702-454-7700.
Datel usually takes two-page display ads in RUN.  Sorry, but do not know much
else about the product.  Suggest you call them for specs.   Howard Herman

jgreco@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Joseph E Greco) (01/07/89)

In article <420@manta.NOSC.MIL> mitch@manta.NOSC.MIL (Ray Mitchell) writes:
>Does anyone know anything about any modifications to the Commodore 64
>to permit the use of a parallel interface to the disk drive? Anything
>would be appreciated.
>				Thanks,
>				Ray Mitchell
>				.
>				.

Depending on what your meaning and intent is, there are several alternatives:

(1) Several devices add a parallel cable to the 1541.  Most notable in my mind
is Skyles Electric Works' "The Flash."  That particular product is relatively
old, and I know there are newer products available, but they all seem to suffer
from the same problem:  Overall lack of compatibility with certain programs.

(2) I believe there is a product available that lets the 64 use the Burst Mode
available on the 1571/1581 drives.  Considering the data transfer rates
involved, there's no reason that this shouldn't be considered - since the
serial data rate is about what a parallel interface could handle anyways.

(3) Various enhancements are available to make the 64/1541 faster with little
or no hardware modification (Fastload and Mach-5 were the first generation of
these enhancements, current packages offer a LOT more).  I'm mentioning this
and (2) only to suggest less expensive alternatives.

(4) If you can't get what you want with these means, there's always IEEE-488.
While you won't be able to use a 1541/71/81, there are plenty of old Commodore
CBM class drives out there for cheap.  They are approximately 400-600% faster
than serial drives (transfer rate), depending on the IEEE interface you select,
and many internal operations are faster as well.

(5) If I've misinterpreted what you're interested in, and you're looking for
a way to directly connect a disk drive module to a 64 with a disk interface
chip or something, I not only admire your courage but would also like to hear
more.

If you're interested in more information on any of these topics, let me know
and I might be able to dig something up.

Happy Hacking!
--
jgreco@csd4.milw.wisc.edu		Joe Greco at FidoNet 1:154/200
USnail: 9905 W Montana Ave			     PunterNet Node 30 or 31

ecarroll@cs.tcd.ie (Eddy Carroll) (01/08/89)

In article <420@manta.NOSC.MIL>, mitch@manta.NOSC.MIL (Ray Mitchell) writes:
> Does anyone know anything about any modifications to the Commodore 64
> to permit the use of a parallel interface to the disk drive? Anything
> would be appreciated.
> 				Thanks,
> 				Ray Mitchell

Over here in Europe, there are several parallel disk systems available for
the C64/C128 + 1541 drive, giving around a 25 fold increase in speed. I have
Dolphin DOS from Evesham Micros (63 Bridge Street, Evesham, Worcs WR11 4SF,
England, phone England 0386-765500) and am very pleased with it. Typical
load in less than two seconds. Sequential file access is speeded up 12 times,
as is program saving (as opposed to loading).

The extra speed is achieved by using both a parallel interface and an 8K
track buffer in the 1541. I think I heard somewhere that they also use a
hardware circuit to do the GCR decoding rather than leaving it to the
software. The whole system works with almost everything, and can be switched
out completely for the odd piece of software that doesn't like it. In
addition, you get some other nice extras at the C64 end, such as built in
DOS 5.1 lookalike, mini machine-code monitor, predefined function keys,
extended screen editor, pause mode while scrolling screen and automatic
detection and use of a printer connected to the user port. All of these are
squeezed into the space used by the Tape and RS232 routines on the C64 Kernal
ROM (The C128 version doesn't remove RS232, not sure about tape). If you need
to access RS232 in C64 mode, a switch is provided which allows you to swap
between normal and Dolphin DOS mode.

Finally, you can get some useful disk utilities including a 21 second fast
disk copier, a fast filecopier and a bit nibbler that copies everything I've
thrown at it.

I can highly recommend this package, which I've been using for around 18
months. It costs 70 Sterling pounds, and I suspect it doesn't work on the
new models of the 1541, but if you can get it you won't regret it. As I
mentioned above, other systems are available, but I have heard that at least
one of these is not terribly reliable (it claims a 60x increase in speed for
example, which is just about impossible given the speed the drive revolves at!)

(I have no association with Evesham Micros, other than as a very satisfied
customer.)
--
Eddy Carroll               ----* Genuine MUD Wizard  | "You haven't lived until
INTER: ecarroll@cs.tcd.ie                            |  until you've died in