[comp.sys.cbm] Upgrade

cyclops@pnet51.cts.com (Zach Forsyth) (01/10/89)

I would like someone's opinion on the following subjects:

        1.  Is a 20MB Lt. Kernal hard drive worth it??  I mean, is it fast,
            easy to use, ect.

        2.  I am thinking on upgrading to a 128 or 128D.  Does anyone know if
            the thousands of bugs found in the 1571 have been fixed on the
            newer drives?

Thanx

                                                o)  The Cyclops

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!cyclops
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!cyclops@nosc.mil
INET: cyclops@pnet51.cts.com

izot@f171.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Geoffrey Welsh) (01/11/89)

 > From: cyclops@pnet51.cts.com (Zach Forsyth)

 >         1.  Is a 20MB Lt. Kernal hard drive worth it??  I mean, is it fast,
 >             easy to use, ect.

   Early Lt. Kernal drives for the C64 had various compatibility problems, but
the ones sold by Xetec for the C64 are fine. They are fast - you can't quite
run a hires movie, but slideshows are practical as one can now load the 8K
bitmap plus 1K colour map in a second or two.

   Ironically, this only applies to data one can load en masse (like programs
and ml-driven sequential file handlers; relative file handling, especially in
BASIC, is actually slower on the Lt. Kernal than on a parallel IEEE-488 drive
like an SFD-1001).

 >         2.  I am thinking on upgrading to a 128 or 128D. Does anyone know
 >             if the thousands of bugs found in the 1571 have been fixed on
 >             the newer drives?

   I upgraded my 1571 as soon as the new ROMS came out, and had a 128d in last
summer and couldn't find anything to complain about in the drives. Then again,
I only ever ran into a couple of problems with the old ROMs (slow to recognize
single-sided disks, updated BAM after every block write on second side, etc.)

Internet:  Geoffrey.Welsh@f171.n221.z1.fidonet.org    | 66 Mooregate Crescent
Usenet:    watmath!isishq!izot                        | Suite 602
FidoNet:   Geoffrey Welsh @ 1:221/171                 | Kitchener, Ontario
PunterNet: 7/Geoffrey Welsh                           | N2M 5E6 CANADA
BBS:       (519) 742-8939 24h 7d 300/1200/2400bps     | (519) 741-9553
|    "I don't need a disclaimer. No one pays any attention to what I say."   |

 Geoffrey Welsh - via FidoNet node 1:221/162
     UUCP: ...!watmath!isishq!171!izot
 Internet: izot@f171.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG