[comp.sys.cbm] Sound, T. Ball, Code.

js9b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jon C. Slenk) (01/18/89)

1) Re the question I asked about the sound production/alteration before...

I could sample the sound through the joystick ports, could I not, with a little
hardware, and in real-time, alter the sounds coming through. I don't want this
to be a sampler which records into memory (allready have one of those) but a
straight through deal.

Can anyone help me out on the hardware/software side, ie getting the info into
the potx/y registers of SID?

2) I have joysticks, 1351 mouse, Koala Pad, and just bought an atari (sorry for
that last word - suppose it should be censored, considering what board I am
posting too... :-) track ball. The thing is I would like to know how to read the
KP and the TB. Someone hinted that the Koala Pad was read in much the same way
as the mouse, ie through the potx/y. The track ball does both joystick and TB
modes, and I would like to get TB mode going, perhaps even for GEOS? (Haven't
tried it with the mouse driver in GEOS yet, will get back to you about that...)

3) Would y'all be willing to help me figure out how to do some scrolling
(smooth) with interrupts? I know a little about them, and wrote a program
(copies somewhat from a book) which seems to put itself before the 60hz
interrrupt, but also seems to be triggered by raster position... I'm confused...

4) Last, but not least, does anybody know how GEOS 2.0 is? Are there upgrade
deals (I am one of the original GEOS purchasers, & got 1.3 with the mouse, but
haven't heard if BSW gives discounts to us old faithful types)?

5) Uh, ok, _this_ is last: are there any good 80 column cards for the c-64? I
would love to turn this 40column beast into something really useful, but it is
slow, and old, and boring, and I want an AMIGA (don't we all...).

AND LASTLY (no, really!) Is the 64 dying? How can people justify pouring money
down its bottomless mouth (so to speak) when it is out-dated technology, and
slow to boot (no pun intended). I keep finding neat stuff to add, but what's the
point? Why not just go out and spend my money on an AMIGA? The thing is, I am a
student, and so can not afford to keep putting money down on the old 64. Perhaps
when I get some real disposable income in the future (ie a good job) then I can
waste money on getting and keeping ten different computers, but right now, I
just can't even justify the only one I have! (The 64).

Well, ta ta.

Sincerely,
Jon Slenk / js9b CMU.

ray@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (Ray Moody) (01/20/89)

		       [This posting is for my roommate]

In article <EXos-0y00XoB48B0V8@andrew.cmu.edu>, js9b+@andrew (Jon C. Slenk) writes:
>5) Uh, ok, _this_ is last: are there any good 80 column cards for the c-64? I
>would love to turn this 40column beast into something really useful, but it is
>slow, and old, and boring, and I want an AMIGA (don't we all...).

The best 80-column card, in my opinion, was the BI-80 from Batteries Included.
It is no longer being manufactured, but you might be able to find someone here
on the net with one for sale-- a friend of mine did about a year ago.  This
card produces a text display that is virtually indistinguishable from the
C-128's 80-column mode.  It works best with a monochrome monitor, though-- it
doesn't cut it all on a TV or monitor like the CBM 1702.  (Also, C-64/128
Kermit v2.1 and later supports this card-- a nice plus-- and so does the older
Paperclip word processor from Batteries Included.)

The only other 80-column card I have ever used is the Data-20 80-column card.
It wasn't nearly as nicely done, in my opinion, and was SLOW scrolling, even in
40 column mode, because it used its own video chip even for this mode.

Kent Sullivan