[comp.sys.cbm] Kermit and files in general

pjl@ms.uky.edu (Paul Linton) (01/18/89)

Hello,

   I just had a question about downloading some files.  For example
I would like to download the Power C sources to the terminal program
recently posted and was wondering what to do.

   Do I first have to convert the file on the Unix side, or do I
set the file type in Kermit on the Commodore side.

   I didnt do anything and dowloaded a few of them and they came
out in all uppercase and the #defines in lower case I think.

Oh well, hope this makes sense.

Paul
--------
pjl@ms.uky.edu, ...!ukma!pjl, pjl@ukma.bitnet

--
Paul Linton  University of KY.
...!ukma!pjl

mat@emcard.UUCP (W Mat Waites) (01/18/89)

In article <10916@s.ms.uky.edu> pjl@ms.uky.edu (Paul Linton) writes:
>Hello,
>
>   I just had a question about downloading some files.  For example
>I would like to download the Power C sources to the terminal program
>recently posted and was wondering what to do.
>
>Paul
>--------
>pjl@ms.uky.edu, ...!ukma!pjl, pjl@ukma.bitnet

You have a couple of options...

Either run the supplied conversion programs on the Unix machine and
then download with no conversions (probably binary mode), or some
terminal programs will automatically convert from ascii to petscii.

Be careful if you try the second method, the terminal may not properly
handle some special characters like the curly braces, vertical bars, etc.

Your best bet is converting on the Unix machine.

"make" the two programs: asctocbm and cbmtoasc.

Then,

asctocbm *.c

will convert all of your ".c" files to ".cbm" files.
Then download the .cbm's, but on the 64/128 change the extension back to ".c".

I use .cbm on the unix machine for petscii files.

good luck,

Mat

--
W Mat Waites
gatech!emcard!mat

jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) (01/19/89)

In article <10916@s.ms.uky.edu>, pjl@ms.uky.edu (Paul Linton) writes:

>    I just had a question about downloading some files.  For example
> I would like to download the Power C sources to the terminal program
> recently posted and was wondering what to do.
>
>    Do I first have to convert the file on the Unix side, or do I
> set the file type in Kermit on the Commodore side.
>
>    I didnt do anything and dowloaded a few of them and they came
> out in all uppercase and the #defines in lower case I think.
>
> Paul Linton  University of KY.
> ...!ukma!pjl
> pjl@ms.uky.edu
> pjl@UKMA.BITNET  or (different machine) cn0001pl@UKCC

The source didn't make it to this site, I would like to have had
it.  By the way, what ever happened to the C conversion of the
Punter module that was alluded to on this newsgroup?

But back to the subject at hand.  I have a terminal emulator
called "Thirdterm" that I use to get around this problem (yes,
there also are Firstterm and Secondterm versions out there).  The
X-Modem option in this particular program asks you if you want to
do the Ascii to PET Half-Ascii conversion.  I haven't had any
problems transferring text to and from UNIX using the conversion.
--

Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
Michigan Bell Telephone           |      tolls and you will only pay

ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh

mat@emcard.UUCP (W Mat Waites) (01/20/89)

In article <2747@mibte.UUCP> jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) writes:
}  By the way, what ever happened to the C conversion of the
}Punter module that was alluded to on this newsgroup?
}
}Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
}ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh

It has not been posted. I, too am waiting for a C version of the Punter
protocol.

Mat

--
W Mat Waites