[comp.sys.cbm] 1571 manuals

tse@pbhyd.PacBell.COM (Tom Edwards) (01/20/89)

I've seen information on this before in the net, but it has been
some time, and now I need the information.

I would like to get a "good" (descriptive) manual on the Commodore
1571 disk drive, including if possible, some idea on how to align
the drive (or at least give some insight as to the principles).

The 1541 has a couple of manuals written for it (The Anatomy of the
1541 being one), I need to know some comparable manuals for the 1571.

Thanks to all who've posted this info before and share it again.

Tom S. Edwards           {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!pbhyd!tse

fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) (01/23/89)

In article <1302@pbhyd.PacBell.COM> tse@pbhyd.PacBell.COM (Tom Edwards) writes:
>I would like to get a "good" (descriptive) manual on the Commodore
>1571 disk drive, including if possible, some idea on how to align
>the drive (or at least give some insight as to the principles).

Abacus has the only manuals of which I am aware that provide a "good"
description of the DOS.  A good source for technical hardware information
is the 1571 service manual.  Commodore does not sell this manual to the
public, but allows service centers to sell it (but many service centers will
not do this, probably fearing loss of business).
Fred Bowen			uucp:	{uunet|rutgers|pyramid}!cbmvax!fred
				arpa:	cbmvax!fred@uunet.uu.net
				tele:	215 431-9100

Commodore Electronics, Ltd.,  1200 Wilson Drive,  West Chester,  PA,  19380

fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) (01/25/89)

In article <5757@cbmvax.UUCP> fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) writes:
>In article <1302@pbhyd.PacBell.COM> tse@pbhyd.PacBell.COM (Tom Edwards) writes:
>>I would like to get a "good" (descriptive) manual on the Commodore
>>1571 disk drive, including if possible, some idea on how to align
>>the drive (or at least give some insight as to the principles).
>
>[...]  A good source for technical hardware information
>is the 1571 service manual.  Commodore does not sell this manual to the
>public, but allows service centers to sell it

I just learned that Commodore is once again selling certain parts, manuals,
and diskettes directly to the public.  I suggest you call or write Commodore
Customer Support for availability and current prices.  There is generally a
shipping & handling charge of $3, a 6-8 week wait, and payment must accompany
your order.

USMail:	Commodore Business Machines, Inc.	Phone: 215-436-4200
	Department C
	1200 Wilson Drive
	West Chester, PA  19380

EMail on QLink: Commodore		Email on Compuserve: 76703,2047

Please do not send queries to me personally on cbmvax, as I do not have the
current price lists & available parts info.