[comp.sys.cbm] Side "H1" of a #1571 Disk.

hxh@hal.UUCP (Howard Hermann) (01/25/89)

A #1571, device #10, is dedicated to holding one of the copy-protected Pocket2
programs, so that I can have quick access to it.

I  am  using  the  128 version of the program, so the second side of the disk,
when  flipped over, which has the 64 version went unused.  To make this second
side  of  the  disk,  with  its 160k of space available for additional program
material,  (and with a lot of help), and using U0>M0, and U0>H1, and HEADER, I
got  a  successful format of the top side, and a directory showing 160k of new
found space.

Several  programs  were then saved to side H1, quite easilly.  The prob I have
run  into, however, is that of loading these programs from side H1.  A program
that  loads in 4 seconds from a #1581, or a double-sided formatted #1571 disk,
now takes over 32 seconds to load, from side H1, of this two-sided disk.  [The
Pocket2  program,  which  is  on side H0 of the same disk loads and runs in 31
seconds, but the Pocket2 program is longer, by a factor of 6, than is the side
H1 program being tested.]

This #1571 has one of the first available upgrade replacement ROM's, which was
supposed  to  correct  the  slow  write/read  prob with the second side of the
drive.  I  know  the ROM corrected the prob with double-sided formatted disks,
but  wasn't  it  also  supposed to correct the prob with a two-sided formatted
disk?  Any  suggestions  for  getting side H1 to load as fast as side H0 would
really be welcome.

Howard Herman

fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) (01/26/89)

In article <317@hal.UUCP> hxh@hal.UUCP (Howard Hermann) writes:
> [...] To make the second side of [a single-sided] disk, with its 160k of
>space available for additional program material [...] using U0>M0, and U0>H1,
>and HEADER, I got a successful format of the top side [...]
>
>Several programs were then saved to side H1, quite easilly.  The prob I have
>run into, however, is that of loading these programs from side H1.  A program
>that loads in 4 seconds from a #1581, or a double-sided formatted #1571 disk,
>now takes over 32 seconds to load, from side H1, of this two-sided disk.

You must be in "1541" mode to select the top side of the disk ("H1"), therefor
all loads are performed in slow 1541 fashion.  If you attempt to select side
"H1" in "1571" mode, you will get a DOS error #31, syntax error.  (I believe
this is described backwards in the 1571 manual).

>I know the ROM corrected the prob with double-sided formatted disks,
>but wasn't it also supposed to correct the prob with a two-sided formatted
>disk?  Any suggestions for getting side H1 to load as fast as side H0 would
>really be welcome.

The ROM upgrade enables the drive to recognize the type of disk you just
created without a lengthly think-and-blink session (due to backwards data
but valid sync marks on the top side).  You get fast (burst) loads only when
the drive is in "1571" mode (don't confuse a disk with two separate sides
with a double-sided disk).  You could write your own routine to accomplish
what you want; I don't know of anyone who has done that.  Isn't it possible to
combine the files on the two diskettes into one normal double-sided diskette?
Fred Bowen			uucp:	{uunet|rutgers|pyramid}!cbmvax!fred
				arpa:	cbmvax!fred@uunet.uu.net
				tele:	215 431-9100

Commodore Electronics, Ltd.,  1200 Wilson Drive,  West Chester,  PA,  19380

aliu@nunki.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu) (01/26/89)

In article <317@hal.UUCP> hxh@hal.UUCP (Howard Hermann) writes:
>material,  (and with a lot of help), and using U0>M0, and U0>H1, and HEADER, I
[Some Stuff deleted]
>run  into, however, is that of loading these programs from side H1.  A program
>that  loads in 4 seconds from a #1581, or a double-sided formatted #1571 disk
>now takes over 32 seconds to load, from side H1, of this two-sided disk.  [The

The problem here is that when you use U0>M0, you are actualy setting
your 1571 to 1541 emulation, thus disabling the Serial Fast Mode.  If
you want to take full capability of your drive, you must not use U0>M0
but U0>M1, this puts your 1571 in native double sided mode, but the
drive recognizes disk that are single sided.  Thus doing what you
wanted to do without this 1541 slower speed mode.

--

                    aliu@nunki.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu)
(Simple .signature, $CHEAP$)