[comp.sys.cbm] upgrading equipment

isusevm@pyr.gatech.EDU (Vernard C. Martin) (01/28/89)

I have heard on this group that commodore offered free upgrade chips
to fix some bugs in the old 1571s that had trouble reading single
sided disks. I have one of those drives and I was wondering if the
offer was still going. If not , where and how much would it cost to
get such an upgrade anyway. I haven't been using my c128 system as
of late but I here it has some nice CP/M features and I plan to pursue
them. I had just got an old version of turbo pascal up and running
before I lost interest. Anybody no of a unix site with anonymous
ftp that has commodore 64/128 software sitting on it. I would appreciate
the knowledge.
Thanks.
Vernard Martin           Teaching Assistant/Computer Operator
Georgia Institute of Technology     isusevm@gatech.edu.UUCP
"Where there is a will, there is a way to subvert it."
                                           --- Me
Karla Jennings
This account is temporarily being used as a collection point for mail.
isusevm@pyr.gatech.edu

vin@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Vincent J. Erickson) (01/30/89)

For sale: C-128 system

Includes the following:

	C-128 computer
	1 - 1571 disk drive
	1 - 1541 disk drive
	1 - 1670 modem (300/1200)
	assorted entertainment software

	All for $400 (firm), buyer pays shipping. All items are in
	"like new" condition, owing to the fact that I bought an Amiga
	system only a few months after buying the above (that's why
	I'm keeping the monitor & printer). Please respond e-mail.

fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) (01/31/89)

In article <7172@pyr.gatech.EDU> isusevm@pyr.gatech.edu.UUCP (Vernard C. Martin) writes:
>I have heard on this group that commodore offered free upgrade chips
>to fix some bugs in the old 1571s that had trouble reading single
>sided disks. I have one of those drives and I was wondering if the
>offer was still going. If not , where and how much would it cost to
>get such an upgrade anyway.

The upgrade ROM chip for the 1571 was never free (although the cost was quite
reasonable for quite a while).  What you probably heard about was the
controller fix for the 1581 drive.  The upgrade ROM for the 1571, part number
310654-05, can be purchased from an authorized service center or from
Commodore.  You'll have to call for current prices- the CBM customer service
line is 215-436-4200.  A service center will install the ROM for you if you
aren't technically inclined (the part is socketed, so it is rather simple to
do yourself).  To quickly check the upgrade status of your 1571 without
opening the case, run the following program:

	10 OPEN 1,8,15,"M-R"+CHR$(0)+CHR$(192)+CHR$(1)
	20 GET#1,A$
	30 CLOSE1
	40 PRINT ASC(A$)

If the result is 66, you need the update ROM.  A result of 56 indicates you
have the update ROM, and a result of 132 indicates you have a C128D.
Fred Bowen			uucp:	{uunet|rutgers|pyramid}!cbmvax!fred
				arpa:	cbmvax!fred@uunet.uu.net
				tele:	215 431-9100

Commodore Electronics, Ltd.,  1200 Wilson Drive,  West Chester,  PA,  19380