[comp.sys.cbm] CBM IEEE-488 Support Info Needed

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (01/31/89)

ASDG manufactures IEEE-488 (GPIB/HPIB) hardware for the CBM Amiga.

We'd really like to implement support for the IEEE-488 bus in Amiga
BASIC in such a way as to be compatible with the IEEE-488 support
found on the PET and 64. Only problem is, we have no idea how that
support was structured and all attempts to get this information
have been unsuccesful so far.

If anyone can send us copied manual pages describing IEEE-488 support
from the BASIC language on the PET or 64 we'd be very appreciative.
The result would be a way of migrating your 488 applications to the
Amiga.

Thanks

Our Mailing Address is:

ASDG Incorporated
925 Stewart St
Madison Wi, 53713

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc.

ARPA: madnix!perry@cs.wisc.edu   {uunet|ncoast}!marque!
UUCP:   {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry

izot@f171.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Geoffrey Welsh) (02/01/89)

 > From: perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz)
 >
 > ASDG manufactures IEEE-488 (GPIB/HPIB) hardware for the CBM Amiga.
 > We'd really like to implement support for the IEEE-488 bus in Amiga
 > BASIC in such a way as to be compatible with the IEEE-488 support
 > found on the PET and 64.

   Do you mean hardware or software? In terms of software (and on the most
simplistic level), any guide to disk & printer programming in BASIC should
provide the info needed for basic software compatibility.

   As far as hardware goes, forget it. The PET used some truly oddball (read:
nonstandard) extensions to the IEEE-488 protocol. For more info, read "PET and
the IEEE-488 (GPIB)" by Fisher & Jensen (sorry I can't give more info, my
copy's out on loan).

Internet:  Geoffrey.Welsh@f171.n221.z1.fidonet.org | 66 Mooregate Crescent
Usenet:    watmath!isishq!izot                     | Suite 602
FidoNet:   Geoffrey Welsh on 1:221/171             | Kitchener, Ontario
PunterNet: 7/Geoffrey Welsh                        | N2M 5E6 CANADA
BBS:       (519) 742-8939 24h 7d 300/1200/2400bps  | (519) 741-9553
|  "I don't need a disclaimer. No one pays any attention to what I say."  |

 Geoffrey Welsh - via FidoNet node 1:221/162
     UUCP: ...!watmath!isishq!171!izot
 Internet: izot@f171.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG

Brendan@cup.portal.com (Brendan P Kehoe) (02/02/89)

 What you may want to do is call Osborne/McGraw Hill and see if they either
still have or know where you can get "PET/CBM and the IEEE 488 Bus (GPIB)" by
Eugene Fisher and CW Jensen...it's an incredibly complete reference on
the IEEE 488..

                                          Brendan@cup.portal.com

janhen@wn2.sci.kun.nl (Jan Hendrikx) (02/03/89)

In article <444@madnix.UUCP>, perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) writes:
> ASDG manufactures IEEE-488 (GPIB/HPIB) hardware for the CBM Amiga.
>
> If anyone can send us copied manual pages describing IEEE-488 support
> from the BASIC language on the PET or 64 we'd be very appreciative.
> The result would be a way of migrating your 488 applications to the
> Amiga.

That is very simple.. It is described perfectly in the standard book
Programming the PET/CBM by Raeto West. Published maybe by Addison-
Wesley, or something like that (I am not sure... Someone still
owes me that book).

In short:
OPEN 7,8,9,"filename"
opens a file on device #8, secundary address 9, with name "filename"
(Procedure LISTEN DEVICE, OPEN SEC.ADR 9, filename)
PRINT#7,blah puts blah on the file (LISTEN DEVICE 8, SEC ADR 9, data,
UNLISTEN)
INPUT#7,blah reads from the file (TALK DEVICE 8, SEC ADR 9, wait for
proper data to arrive, UNTALK)
CLOSE7 closes the file (LISTEN DEVICE 8, CLOSE SEC ADR 9, UNLISTEN)
SAVE "filename",DEV,SECADR
does something like OPEN, output data, CLOSE.
LOAD "filename",DEV,SECADR.
does something like OPEN, read data, CLOSE, except that it sends
secundary address 0 to the disk and uses the given value locally
(for a C64) or ignores it (for a PET).

You also must know that Commodore used the secundary addresses for
something non-standard, and that setting some bits in the secadrs
means special things (open/close this secadr).
The non-standard thing varies with the particular device. The disk
keeps several open files apart by different secunary addresses,
while various printers allow many print things to be set by data
sent to different secadrs. Unfortunately, they never could decide
on a standard among their own printers....

Gosh, that I still know all that after all those years.

If you really want a photocopy of a ROM disassembly of the PET,
just yell :-) :-) :-)

> Thanks
> --
> Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc.

-Olaf Seibert (using Jan's account)

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (02/05/89)

I was referring to both. Our goal would be to allow equipment which
had been used by the PET to be used on a 488 bus equipped Amiga. If
what you're saying is true (that the 488 port on the PET was quite
different from the 488 spec) then perhaps this is an unattainable
goal?

As for the software, we really have no idea how things worked on
the PET. I personally saw one once in a closet while in Graduate
School. But that's about the extent of our experience with CBM
machines prior to Amiga (our background was UNIX systems).

Anyhelp at all would be most appreciated. The book references
will be acted on right away.

Thank You!