[comp.sys.cbm] 1750 REM availability?

prindle@NADC.ARPA (Frank Prindle) (01/25/89)

A friend with a large GeoCalc application is hoping to speed things up with
a 1750 Ram Expansion Module, but has found that both local and mail-order
dealers are out of stock and claim that Commodore is not delivering.  Has
Commodore ceased manufacture of the 1750, or is this just a temporary glitch
in the distribution chain?  Any clues would be appreciated, as well as tips
on where to order.
Sincerely,
Frank Prindle
Prindle@NADC.arpa

fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) (02/06/89)

In article <POSTNEWS20292@NADC.ARPA> prindle@NADC.ARPA (Frank Prindle) writes:
> [...dealers] claim that Commodore is not delivering.  Has Commodore ceased
>manufacture of the 1750, or is this just a temporary glitch in the
>distribution chain?

A qlitch, hopefully temporary.  The REU uses 256Kx1 DRAMs, like most small
systems do.  While it looks like the supply of larger, 1 meg chips has been
improving, the supply of the smaller chips has not.  What I suspect is
happening is that the REU's are at the bottom of the DRAM queue- after the
needs are met for larger systems, any DRAMs left (if any) go into REU's.  The
numbers are therefore small, with shipments being made to standing backorders.
The sales folks would probably LOVE to fill these orders, but what do I know?
Fred Bowen			uucp:	{uunet|rutgers|pyramid}!cbmvax!fred
				arpa:	cbmvax!fred@uunet.uu.net
				tele:	215 431-9100

Commodore Electronics, Ltd.,  1200 Wilson Drive,  West Chester,  PA,  19380

jgreco@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Joe Greco) (02/07/89)

Well, the 1750-shortage still leaves those of us who need a 1750 in a
bit of a bind.  I'm still mad because I can't get RAMDOS4.2 to run on
my 1750 (bad dl?)...  even so, I still need some REU memory for my own
application.  That's why I wanted a second REU in the first place.

If I could make 3.2 believe I was using a 1764.... that would be nice.
Not ideal, but nice.

--
jgreco@csd4.milw.wisc.edu		Joe Greco at FidoNet 1:154/200
USnail: 9905 W Montana Ave			     PunterNet Node 30 or 31

fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) (02/07/89)

In article <794@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> jgreco@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Joe Greco) writes:
>  [...]  I'm still mad because I can't get RAMDOS4.2 to run on
> my 1750 (bad dl?)...  even so, I still need some REU memory for my own
> application.  [...]
> If I could make 3.2 believe I was using a 1764.... that would be nice.

In an article in the latest Twin Cities 128 (issue #23) I do just that- tell
you how to partition the RAMdisk.  The lower banks are disk, the upper banks
are for your own devious purposes.

The latest RAMdisk-64 is 4.2, RAMdisk-128 is 4.4.  I'll be checking the files
available on QLink and updating them if necessary.  I recently uploaded the
VT100-128v2.1 there, BTW.

--

jgreco@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Joe Greco) (02/08/89)

In comp.sys.cbm article <5912@cbmvax.UUCP>, fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) wrote:
]In an article in the latest Twin Cities 128 (issue #23) I do just that- tell
]you how to partition the RAMdisk.  The lower banks are disk, the upper banks
]are for your own devious purposes.

Helps us who don't get TC128 because we don't OWN 128's.  :-)

]The latest RAMdisk-64 is 4.2, RAMdisk-128 is 4.4.  I'll be checking the files
]available on QLink and updating them if necessary.  I recently uploaded the
]VT100-128v2.1 there, BTW.

Ditto with Q-Link.  Does RAMDOS64 4.2 work with the 1750?  (Mine
crashes and burns... disk loads... either locks or warm boots ala BRK)

Ah well....
--

fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) (02/08/89)

In article <806@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> (Joe Greco) writes:
>In comp.sys.cbm article <5912@cbmvax.UUCP> (Fred Bowen) wrote:
>]In an article in the latest Twin Cities 128 (issue #23) I do just that- tell
>]you how to partition the RAMdisk.
>
>Help us who don't get TC128  [...].  Ditto with Q-Link.

I believe in giving these people a fair chance at attracting subscribers,
which they would not have if I simply copied the material to you fine folks
mooching info from free (to you) networks.  :-)

But capitalism has its limits, and after they have had their fair chance I
will share the information with you.

>Does RAMDOS64 4.2 work with the 1750?

Certainly.  Maybe you have a bum copy.  I assume the 1750 works on your C64
otherwise, power supply and plug-in gee-whiz cartridges not withstanding.