[comp.sys.cbm] Dead modem seeks new life

TRM900@PSUVM.BITNET (Tony R. Marasco) (02/11/89)

I was given a 1670 modem for a C=64 the other day, which does not work.
It accepts Hayes commands fine - the problem is it won't pick up the
telephone.  In other words, if I tell it to Answer, it will send the
proper tone to the speaker, but it doesn't send the tone to the phone
line.  I checked simple circuits, and they seem o.k.  Any suggestions?
Or should I save it for parts for my working 1670?
-------
| Tony Marasco                 |  UUCP: psuvax1!psuvm!trm900              |
| Penn State University        |  BITNET: trm900@psuvm.BITNET             |
| Schuylkill Haven Highway     |                   - or -                 |
| Schuylkill Haven, PA 17976   |  trm900%psuvm.psu.edu@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU    |
| "Questions are a burden for others.  Answers are a prison for oneself." |
|       -- The Prisoner                                                   |

izot@f171.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Geoffrey Welsh) (02/12/89)

 > From: TRM900@PSUVM.BITNET (Tony R. Marasco)
 > I was given a 1670 modem for a C=64 the other day, which does not work.
 > It accepts Hayes commands fine - the problem is it won't pick up the
 > telephone.

   Sounds like the line relay or the line interface transformer are on the
fritz. I'm not a qualified analog serviceman, so I can't tell you offhand what
measurements to take (and what readings to expect) but, once you find which
part is fried, it should only take a couple bucks of parts to restore the
thing to order.

Internet:  Geoffrey.Welsh@f171.n221.z1.fidonet.org | 66 Mooregate Crescent
Usenet:    watmath!isishq!izot                     | Suite 602
FidoNet:   Geoffrey Welsh on 1:221/171             | Kitchener, Ontario
PunterNet: 7/Geoffrey Welsh                        | N2M 5E6 CANADA
BBS:       (519) 742-8939 24h 7d 300/1200/2400bps  | (519) 741-9553
|  "I don't need a disclaimer. No one pays any attention to what I say."  |

 Geoffrey Welsh - via FidoNet node 1:221/162
     UUCP: ...!watmath!isishq!171!izot
 Internet: izot@f171.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG