[comp.sys.cbm] Development on an Amiga

leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) (02/15/89)

In article <7124@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) writes:
>in article <89Feb10.182100est.2732@godzilla.eecg.toronto.edu>, leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) says:
>> get as much of a speed increase as is possible on LOADs.  This has less to
>> do with the transfer protocol, than with the LOW PERFORMANCE limitations of
>> the C64 kernal.  To remain compatible with existing software, speedup
>> software must intercept OPEN, CLOSE, CHKIN, CHKOUT, CHRIN, GETIN, & CHROUT.
>> You can't expect that much speed if you call a subroutine for every byte of
>> a transfer.
>
>     Take a look at the C-128's Kernal, and, specifically, the
>burst-mode load routines (esp. the subroutine at $f4C5). It gets that
>speedup despite jsr'ing STASH for each byte to store the data into the
>proper bank of RAM.

	That's interesting.  But I covered this topic in another posting, so
I won't go into it again.

>> speedup)!  But today, too much software bypasses CHRIN/CHROUT to use
>> ACPTR/CIOUT directly.
>
>It could be done. But you'd have to do one of two things: Illegally
>copy CBM's ROM & modify it, or have RAM and "patch" it. The latter
>would be expensive, at least at current prices (32Kx8 static RAM is at
>around $14 right now). After you have a patched ROM image, it's fairly
>easy to do hardware tricks to swap it into place of the ordinary ROM
>(but it DOES require at least one jumper into the inside of the
>computer).

	Another great idea (using a RAM to replace the kernal ROM)!  If only
it didn't require the jumper it would have a much better chance of
widespread commercial success.

>True. I suspect that the REU timing is about the maximum speed you can
>get using byte-at-a-time. That time truly reflects JSR overhead.
>
>> least twice as fast as IEEE can load.  A complete assembly, which requires
>> 2 passes through 600K of tokenized source, takes about 12 mins.  Using seq
>> reads on a C64 would probably take about 1.5 hours, or 50 mins using IEEE
>> drives (I haven't timed these, so they are just guesses).
>
>the REU!). Now, on the Amiga, using DASM (a real speed-demon).... I'd
>be surprised if it took longer than 2 minutes out of RAM:.

Actually, I am moving development onto the Amiga!  DASM is one of the most
likely assembler choices, but I have found a few others.  I won't be using
RAM: though, probably VD0: or RAD: or just an FFS hard drive partition.

>> What we really need is a new OS for the C64...
>
>Amen! But who's going to bother, when they can just go out and buy a
>"real" computer? Today was the first time I'd touched my 128 in over a
>week....

Me too! :-)

Marcel A. LeBlanc	  | University of Toronto -- Toronto, Canada
leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu  | also: LMS Technologies Ltd, Fredericton, NB, Canada
UUCP:	uunet!utai!eecg!leblanc    BITNET: leblanc@eecg.utoronto (may work)
ARPA:	leblanc%eecg.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net  CDNNET: <...>.toronto.cdn