[comp.sys.cbm] GIF

don@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Donald R Lloyd) (02/16/89)

     Is there a version of GIF available for the 64 or 128?  If so, where can I get it short of spending quite a few $ on Compuserve?  Is it on Q-Link anywhere?

     Also, can anybody give me any advice on downloading from a Vax running Unixonto my 128 via Kermit?  I've tried to download some C stuff for Power C (in Power-C transfer mode) but I've never been able to get it to work.  What about     other types of files?  What should Kermit's defaults be set at to download ASCIIor binary files?

hackeron@athena.mit.edu (Harris L Gilliam) (02/16/89)

In article <2846@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> don@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Donald R Lloyd) writes:
>Also, can anybody give me any advice on downloading from a Vax running Unixonto my 128 via Kermit?  I've tried to download some C stuff for Power C (in Power-C transfer mode) but I've never been able to get it to work.  What about     other types of
>files?  What should Kermit's defaults be set at to download ASCIIor binary files?

For file transfer I find that using Xmodem or Ymodem is better.  If you have
a terminal program for your c128 that does either then you can get C-sources
for your Vax that does xmodem(checksum and CRC), ymodem, ymodem batch, and
xmodem batch from:

j.cc.purdue.edu
uunet.uu.net
26.0.0.74  (Simtel-20)

Just anonymous ftp the sources and compile and you'll have xmodem for your vax.
You may have to turn off xon/xoff control using the stty command on your vax
to get it to work (I usually don't have to, but some people have had trouble).

						---Harris

|  Harris L. Gilliam                   ()    4 Ames St. Cambridge MA 02139 |
|  Internet : hackeron@athena.mit.edu  () hgilliam@media-lab.media.mit.edu |
|  UUCP     : {backbone..}!mit-eddie!mit-athena!hackeron                   |
|For every complex problem,there's a solution that's simple,neat,and wrong.|