[comp.sys.cbm] turbodisks

aliu@nunki.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu) (02/16/89)

One simple and unsophisticated (therefore, not that dramatic) approach
to the speed-up problem is by using the 1541 fast mode.  I remember
that the VIC-20 could make serial transfers 25% faster than the C-64,
that's why C-64's had such a hard time reading the old 1540 drives.
People who had VIC-20's could take advantage of this extra speed by
sending the user command 'uj' to the disk (I am not 100% percent sure
about this, I don't have my Disk Manual handy, but I think is fairly
common thing)
Anyway, a simple but easy way to speed up ALL disk operations is to
send this command to the disk drive, to put it at VIC-20 speed.  That
will make the 1541 run 25% faster.  Normally, the C-64 will have a
hard time coping with this extra speed.  The way to put the C-64 at
the same speed without great programming feast, is by simply blanking
the screen.  (Blanking the screen, produces the C-64 to run 25%
faster, because the Video Chip doesn't need to access the memory any
more).  Therefore, everytime one wants to perform a disk access, one
simply blanks the screen, and enjoy a humble 25% improvement in the
speed.  (I actually tested this on LOAD and SAVE, and works.  File
operations didn't improve at all because I was using BASIC, and
Commodore BASIC is slow enough that the Drive is still faster that the
interpreted BASIC)
--

                    aliu@nunki.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu)
(Simple .signature, $CHEAP$)

fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) (02/17/89)

In article <2719@nunki.usc.edu> aliu@nunki.usc.edu writes:
>One simple and unsophisticated (therefore, not that dramatic) approach
>to the speed-up problem is by using the 1541 fast mode.  I remember
>that the VIC-20 could make serial transfers 25% faster than the C-64,
>that's why C-64's had such a hard time reading the old 1540 drives.
>People who had VIC-20's could take advantage of this extra speed by
>sending the user command 'uj' to the disk (I am not 100% percent sure
>about this, I don't have my Disk Manual handy, but I think is fairly

The command is UI- to remove a 40us delay per bit, imposed to cope with VIC-II
DMA's.  As you indicated, blanking the VIC screen (POKE53265,PEEK(53265)AND239)
or placing a C128 in FAST mode stops VIC DMA's and so this delay can be
removed.  The command UI+ re-imposes the delay.

So, like the C64's MAX mode, the 1541 has a 1540 mode.  Guess that makes the
C128D something like, um, 7 machines in one?  The extremes to which we go in
the name of compatibility boggles the mind, doesn't it?
Fred Bowen			uucp:	{uunet|rutgers|pyramid}!cbmvax!fred
				arpa:	cbmvax!fred@uunet.uu.net
				tele:	215 431-9100

Commodore Electronics, Ltd.,  1200 Wilson Drive,  West Chester,  PA,  19380