[comp.sys.cbm] 2400-baud Modem for C128?

) (02/12/89)

Hi...

Does anyone know anything about any 2400-baud Modem, that could be connected
to the Commodere 64/128?

I have been looking for one, but couldn't get any.

Any Information would be appreciated.

Thanx... :-)

---
			     ___                            ____   ___
======================= | /   |      /\     |\   |  |   |  /      /   \  |    |
Kianusch  SAYAH-KARADJI |/    |     /  \    | \  |  |   |  \___   |      |____|
{!pixar!unicom!sayah_k} |\    |    /----\   |  \ |  |   |      \  |      |    |
======================= | \  _|_  /      \  |   \|  \___/  ____/  \___/  |    |

izot@f171.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Geoffrey Welsh) (02/13/89)

 > From: sayah_k@unicom.UUCP (KIANUSCH... Oh, no! It`s this guy again !!!)
 > Does anyone know anything about any 2400-baud Modem, that could be
 > connected
 > to the Commodere 64/128?

   Using a VIC-1011A-type interface, ANY RS-232 modem can be used.

   I'd recommend RS-232 modems over direct plug-ins because they can be used
with computers other than the C64/128, and that will be useful to most
computer users.

Internet:  Geoffrey.Welsh@f171.n221.z1.fidonet.org | 66 Mooregate Crescent
Usenet:    watmath!isishq!izot                     | Suite 602
FidoNet:   Geoffrey Welsh on 1:221/171             | Kitchener, Ontario
PunterNet: 7/Geoffrey Welsh                        | N2M 5E6 CANADA
BBS:       (519) 742-8939 24h 7d 300/1200/2400bps  | (519) 741-9553
|  "I don't need a disclaimer. No one pays any attention to what I say."  |

 Geoffrey Welsh - via FidoNet node 1:221/162
     UUCP: ...!watmath!isishq!171!izot
 Internet: izot@f171.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG

Brendan@cup.portal.com (Brendan P Kehoe) (02/15/89)

In article <418@unicom.UUCP> sayah_k@unicom.UUCP (Sayah-Karadji) writes:

>Hi...
>
>Does anyone know anything about any 2400-baud Modem, that could be connected
>to the Commodere 64/128?
>
>I have been looking for one, but couldn't get any.
>
>Any Information would be appreciated.

 You can use virtually any external 2400 baud modem with the 64 or 128...you
DO have to have an RS232C interface, though...there are a few differences in
the user port and RS232 lines (like jumping from 5V to 9V)...the one thing that
you might want to keep in mind if it's for the 64 is that it isn't known for
its grace in handling 2400..in the Feb 89 issue of the Transactor, there's an
article with the source code for proper 2400 handling on a 64...it may be a
little while before terms start showing up that have it in it.

Brendan@cup.portal.com

mat@emcard.UUCP (W Mat Waites) (02/17/89)

In article <14656@cup.portal.com> Brendan@cup.portal.com (Brendan P Kehoe) writes:
}you might want to keep in mind if it's for the 64 is that it isn't known for
}its grace in handling 2400..in the Feb 89 issue of the Transactor, there's an
}article with the source code for proper 2400 handling on a 64...it may be a
}little while before terms start showing up that have it in it.
}Brendan@cup.portal.com

Has anyone keyed in the Transactor code? How well does it work, etc?

Mat

--
W Mat Waites
gatech!emcard!mat

Brendan@cup.portal.com (Brendan P Kehoe) (02/18/89)

In article <6540@emcard.uucp>, mat@emcard.uucp (W Mat Waites) writes:
>In article <14656@cup.portal.com> Brendan@cup.portal.com (Brendan P Kehoe) writes:
>}you might want to keep in mind if it's for the 64 is that it isn't known for
>}its grace in handling 2400..in the Feb 89 issue of the Transactor, there's an
>}article with the source code for proper 2400 handling on a 64...it may be a
>}little while before terms start showing up that have it in it.
>}Brendan@cup.portal.com
>
>Has anyone keyed in the Transactor code? How well does it work, etc?

 I put it into the terminal program that I'm working on for the C128..until my
RS232C interface finally comes (or I get the gumption up to build the thing),
I won't be able to test it (hehe and I'm keeping this term a relative secret
til I release it, so I'm at a standstill)..one thing I noticed with the source,
though..it has 3 start bit and full bit times, for 300, 1200, and 2400 baud
respectively..but I'll be damned if I can figure out where George Hug came
up with them (my term offers the standard 12-rate list that're in a table in
the 128's rom)..they are:

start24 $1cb/459
start12 $442/1090
start3 $1333/4915
full24 $1a5/421
full12 $34d/845
full3 $d52/3410

 Maybe someone out there sees a pattern or reason that I don't..but until I
can find out *how* those came about, it's next to useless for me..
 Oh I might mention that a few weeks ago Chris Smeets, in a conference on
GEnie, said that he had source that would give reliable 4800bps throughput
on a C64 and 9600 on a C128 (he added the 9600, utilizing the 2MHz clock)..
he said that he'd be putting it up in their libraries, but I haven't seen
it yet..but when it IS I'm dying to see it...now how to get a USR Courier 9600
for less than $200 <grin>.

                                                Brendan@cup.portal.com