[comp.sys.cbm] IBM 'ARC' for the 64/128

fireman@tippy.uucp (02/07/89)

Does anyone have a version of Arc for the 64/128 that is IBM
compatible?  There are a lot of text files that I would like to
get that are ARCed in IBM (PKunpak) format, and I was wondering if anyone
had something that would do the job.....

        Rob Dale
          tippy!FIREMAN@newton.physics.purdue.edu

izot@f171.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Geoffrey Welsh) (02/08/89)

 > From: fireman@tippy.uucp
 >
 > Does anyone have a version of Arc for the 64/128 that is IBM
 > compatible?  There are a lot of text files that I would like to
 > get that are ARCed in IBM (PKunpak) format, and I was wondering if anyone
 > had something that would do the job.....

   CSARC and CSXARC for the 128 (part of CS-DOS from Chris Smeets/Ampere
Metal, who did the [non-compatible] ARC for the 64), are compatible with
PKWare's (and, subsequently, SEA's) compression techniques. Here's an old
propoganda file on CS-DOS:

            -------------------------------------
            ARC 128 information.     20jul87 - CS
            -------------------------------------

   ARC is now available for the Commodore 128 in 128 mode. The C128
 version of ARC is, of course, 100% compatible with the C64 version
 so anything that is created by ARC 128 can be dissolved by ARC 64
 and visa-versa. Naturally, this will ALWAYS be the case!

   ARC 128 takes advantage of  the C128's extra RAM and the 1571's
 burst mode to achieve an overall improvement in speed when creating
 and dissolving archives. ARC128 with a single 1571 will  create an
 archive approximately three times faster than ARC64 with  a single
 1541 and approximately 20 percent faster  than ARC 64  with a 4040
 dual disk drive and C-LINK IEEE interface.

   A few other changes have been  made to the ARC  command. Pattern
 matching is enhanced ( "*.mus"  will match all files  ending  with
 ".mus" ), input/output buffering reduces disk activity, and  it is
 now possible to MOVE files into an archive (ARC then SCRATCH).

   The overall system  (now called CS-DOS) has  undergone  numerous
changes and is much improved. The basic feel of the program (syntax
etc.) is somewhat like ARC64, most of the  64 version  commands are
"new and improved" and some new commands have  been added.  Some of
the features offered by CS-DOS are as follows.

1) There are no 'built in' commands. All commands  run  as external
   commands (like ANALYZE or LU) and can be run from floppy, or can
   be transfered to an internal RAM disk where they behave  just as
   if they were built in commands. This  lets  you  pick and choose
   which commands you want or don't want and even lets you add some
   new  commands of your own. ( Any  PRG  file  that  fits  can  be
   installed in the RAM disk and executed simply by typing its name)
   You can save the entire RAM disk to floppy for  later retrieval,
   and so build up a library of 'environments' for various purposes.

2) The RAM disk is configurable and can be as large or as small as
   memory  allows  and  can  reside in any one of the C128's banks
   (including ROM if  you have an EPROM  burner).  CS-DOS does not
   presently support the 1750/1700 RAM expanders, but it will in
   future releases.

3) Output that would normally go to the screen (like ARC/L or LIST)
   can now be redirected either to the printer or to a disk file.

4) Input that normally comes from the keyboard can be redirected to
   a disk file. This allows for a powerful EXEC facility comparable
   to CP/M's SUBMIT or MS-DOS batch files.

5) FIND, CHANGE and SCROLL now support BASIC  alot  better, so the
   editor is no longer limited to just text files and  can be used
   when editing BASIC programs as well.

6) GET, PUT and TYPE have been improved so that standard ASCII text
   files are easily dealt with. With the introduction of CSXARC,
   you'll likely be dealing with alot of them. All of Bank 0 is free
   so you can now edit text or BASIC files of up to 230-240 odd
   blocks.

7) Drive letters can be assigned to whatever (drive,device) you like.
   CS-DOS supports disks numbered 8,0 through 30,9

8) Several new commands have been added including verbose directory
   listing, BASIC variable dump, and several RAM disk related comands.

9) Both 40 and 80 column use is supported (although 80 columns is
   highly recommended)

10)A new command (CSXARC) has been added which allows you to dissolve
   archives created by the MS-DOS ARC programs. It can handle archives
   created by all versions of SEA's ARC utility version 5.20 or lower,
   or by Phil Katz's PKARC utility version 3.5 or lower. In other words,
   anything. If you're interested in C or Pascal or simply want to
   access the many thousands of text files presently archived by the
   MS-DOS ARC programs, then this command is for you.

   Lots of other small improvements have been made and all totalled,
we think they add up to a pretty big improvement. We've been fortunate
enough to elicit the aid of a very knowledgable and helpful beta test
crew whose many suggestions and 'nit picks' have added much polish
and resulted in a much finer product than we could have come up with
on our own. (Thanks guys!!!!!)

I think it's safe to say that if you LIKE ARC64, then you'll LOVE CS-DOS!

   CS-DOS is also designed with the future in mind. Since all commands
are external, they're  much  easier to design, upgrade and maintain so
many  new and  interesting  features are slated for future versions of
CS-DOS. Updates  will be  available to  registered  users for free via
download from our BBS, or for a small fee via paper or electronic mail.
   If there is enough demand for it, a version of CS-DOS for the C=64
is planned.

   CS-DOS and ARC128 are NOT being distributed as freeware or shareware.
They may not be duplicated and passed around, and they may not be posted
on any electronic information retrieval system either public or private.

   To order your copy of CS-DOS/ARC 128, send a cheque made payable to
to "Ampere Metal" to...

       Ampere Metal
       80 Hale Road, Unit 4
       Brampton, Ontario
       Canada
       L6W-3M1

   The price is $30.00 (U.S. funds or equivalent) and includes the
following:              ------------------------

   1) Current program disk and printed documentation for ARC128/CS-DOS
   2) Current program disk for ARC 64 with documentation on disk.
   3) A permanent membership on our private bulletin board where updates
      will be available for download at no charge to registered CS-DOS
      users only.
   4) Question/Answer support via Email, Papermail or voice telephone.

   If you live too far away and don't want to call the Bulletin board
to obtain updates, they can also be purchased by mail for $10.00 U.S.
(disk + manual addendum). We don't care how we get the update to you,
as long  as you  foot the  bill we're open to  suggestion. So you can
update  to your  heart's content until another SkyLab falls out of the
sky and blows Ampere Metal to kingdom come.

   Note: all overseas orders must include an additional $2.00 to cover
extra postage.

   Also: if you are already a registered ARC user, (as of 20 Jul 87)
then your contribution was voluntary and since we appreciate that your
contribution will count 100% towards CS-DOS. So to order, just send the
difference between $30.00 U.S. and your contribution. If your contribution
was $30.00 or more, a postcard indicating your current mailing address
will suffice.

   When ordering, PLEASE include the following information for our
records....

   Full name and current mailing address.
   Type of Computer(s) you own or use frequently.
   Type(s) of Commodore disk drive(s) you will be using CS-DOS on.
   Do you own a 1750/1764, or do you plan to buy one?
   How did you FIRST find out about ARC?
   An EMAIL address where you can be reached...
            GEnie/PLINK (preferred), or CIS, or Q-LINK

   Also, any comments or suggestions you have for things you'd like to
see in CS-DOS would be appreciated. This informatin will be helpful in
setting priorities for future work on CS-DOS. The squeeky wheel gets the
grease!

CS

Internet:  Geoffrey.Welsh@f171.n221.z1.fidonet.org | 66 Mooregate Crescent
Usenet:    watmath!isishq!izot                     | Suite 602
FidoNet:   Geoffrey Welsh on 1:221/171             | Kitchener, Ontario
PunterNet: 7/Geoffrey Welsh                        | N2M 5E6 CANADA
BBS:       (519) 742-8939 24h 7d 300/1200/2400bps  | (519) 741-9553
|  "I don't need a disclaimer. No one pays any attention to what I say."  |

 Geoffrey Welsh - via FidoNet node 1:221/162
     UUCP: ...!watmath!isishq!171!izot
 Internet: izot@f171.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG

Brendan@cup.portal.com (Brendan P Kehoe) (02/08/89)

In article <24100006@tippy> fireman@tippy.uucp (fireman) writes:

>Does anyone have a version of Arc for the 64/128 that is IBM
>compatible?  There are a lot of text files that I would like to
>get that are ARCed in IBM (PKunpak) format, and I was wondering if anyone
>had something that would do the job.....

 One utility for the 64 that I've seen is CSX by Chris Smeets..it will
dissolve (up to the latest versions) of ARC and PKARC.

Brendan@cup.portal.com

hackeron@athena.mit.edu (Harris L Gilliam) (02/09/89)

In article <24100006@tippy> fireman@tippy.uucp writes:

>Does anyone have a version of Arc for the 64/128 that is IBM
>compatible?  There are a lot of text files that I would like to
>get that are ARCed in IBM (PKunpak) format, and I was wondering if anyone
>had something that would do the job.....
>
>        Rob Dale
>          tippy!FIREMAN@newton.physics.purdue.edu

Hi Rob,

	If you have a modem and can call (617) 862 - 5779 (thats The
Boston Computer Society's BBS system) I think you'll find a version or
arc for the C64 that does pkARC stuff.

						---Harris

|  Harris L. Gilliam                   ()    4 Ames St. Cambridge MA 02139 |
|  Internet : hackeron@athena.mit.edu  () hgilliam@media-lab.media.mit.edu |
|  UUCP     : {backbone..}!mit-eddie!mit-athena!hackeron                   |
|For every complex problem,there's a solution that's simple,neat,and wrong.|

emjay@dasys1.UUCP (Michael J. Lavery) (02/11/89)

In article <24100006@tippy> fireman@tippy.uucp writes:

>Does anyone have a version of Arc for the 64/128 that is IBM
>compatible?

Yes, there are two version of the same program, both by Chris Smeets.
One is part of his program, CS-DOS, the other is a stand alone version
called CSX01.SDA - found on some national services.  Also as part of
CS-DOS 1.4 there is a program to create MS-DOS type archives.  Info
on how to reach him may be found in any of the documentation for the
Commodore versions of ARC.

--
Michael J. Lavery
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX

izot@f171.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Geoffrey Welsh) (02/12/89)

 > From: emjay@dasys1.UUCP (Michael J. Lavery)
 > In article <24100006@tippy> fireman@tippy.uucp writes:
 > >Does anyone have a version of Arc for the 64/128 that is IBM
 > >compatible?
 > Yes, there are two version of the same program, both by Chris Smeets.
 > One is part of his program, CS-DOS, the other is a stand alone version
 > called CSX01.SDA - found on some national services.  Also as part of
 > CS-DOS 1.4 there is a program to create MS-DOS type archives.  Info
 > on how to reach him may be found in any of the documentation for the
 > Commodore versions of ARC.

   CSARC and CSXARC are NOT PD. They are part of CS-DOS, which is sold by
Chris through Ampere Metal (I posted the info on CS-DOS here a few days ago).
In fact, all C128 stuff from Chris is commercial based on the theory that the
C64 stuff is shreware and, if you want the added performance and features of
the C128 version, you should help support his efforts.

   Note that CS[X]ARC is for the 128 only... I don't know of any C64 ARC tool
that's SEA ARC compatible.

jgreco@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Joe Greco) (02/14/89)

In comp.sys.cbm article <1591.23F5F447@isishq.FIDONET.ORG>, izot@f171.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Geoffrey Welsh) wrote:
>   Note that CS[X]ARC is for the 128 only... I don't know of any C64 ARC tool
>that's SEA ARC compatible.

Chris Smeets has written an IBM archive extraction routine that works
on both the c64 and c128.

On a side note, I can't understand why somebody would want to claim
SEA compatibility (we all remember poor PK....)

:-)
--
jgreco@csd4.milw.wisc.edu		Joe Greco at FidoNet 1:154/200
USnail: 9905 W Montana Ave			     PunterNet Node 30 or 31

emjay@dasys1.UUCP (Michael J. Lavery) (02/18/89)

>In fact, all C128 stuff from Chris is commercial based on the theory that the
>C64 stuff is shreware and, if you want the added performance and features of
>the C128 version, you should help support his efforts.
>
>   Note that CS[X]ARC is for the 128 only..

The above information is NOT correct.  My original reply mentioned that
CSX01.SDA was to be found on many services.  It is NOT part of CS-DOS.
This SDA contains a version for the C=64 and one for the C=128.  The
documentation file as well as the program mention that Chris seeks NO
money for this program.  This program which will extract IBM type files
is a stand-alone.  The other two programs mentioned, CSARC ( which is
available in 2 versions, one for use with a 1750 and one without, an
archieve creation tool, and CSXARC, an extraction tool, are part of
CS-DOS - I made mention of neither.These two programs are not stand-
alone programs and will run only under CS-DOS which is obtainable for
a contribution to the creator ($30 I believe).

--
Michael J. Lavery
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX
..!cmcl2!phri!dasys1!emjay

djn1537@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (02/22/89)

/* Written 12:40 am  Feb 17, 1989 by drew@umbc3.UMBC.EDU in uxf.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.cbm */
Hello, I'm new to the net so I apologize if I'm bringing up an old
subject.  My problem is that I can't do uploads/downloads from my
unix account because the xmodem on my vt100 emulator (the one that
is on the "Common Sense" disk seems to be broken.
Any truth to the rumor that someone has developed Kermit for the C128?
I'd be happy to mail a disk to someone to get good communications
software- there doesn't seem to be any in the stores.
I'm using the C128,1541 DD, Modem 1200, and an 80 column monochrome
monitor.  Thanks in Advance.

-Drew Eisenhauer--
Is not conscience a pair of breeches; though a cover for lewdness
as well as nastiness, is easily slipt down for the service of both?
-SWIFT
/* End of text from uxf.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.cbm */

Hello,  I am pretty new to the net also.  In your note you said that you
may have heard someone talking about a kermit for the C128.

Did You mean the C128 in 128 mode or 64 mode?  If in the 64 mode, I have
Kermit 2.0, although I think that there is now a 2.2.

But I would like to know if you have recieved one (Kermit) for the 128 mode?
It really ticks me cause alot of the easy to get software is for the C64, and
not the 128 mode, even though the 128 mode is superior..

Well, an comment or answer or general knowledge about Kermit would be
appreciated.

                  Thanks o'lot,
                     DaNix

| If you can convince 'em, confuse 'em |