[comp.sys.cbm] Commodore Terminal Emulator

steyaert@egrunix.UUCP (Terry Steyaert) (02/21/89)

 I am a very new user to the Usenet, so I hope I can get some help
 from the other numerous Commodore users here.  I currently use a
 Commodore 128 from home to connect to the Usenet.  I have many
 problems with terminal emulation.  When I try to edit an Usenet
 post, the emulation seems to be nil.  I have tried the VT100
 emulator on the Common Sence disk.  It isn't too bad in normal cases,
 but will not work with VI or Vnews.  I also use BobsTerm.
 The VT100 emulator is really bad, but the VT52 isn't too bad.  I still
 have problems with it, it won't edit on Usenet, but Emacs works, and
 so do several other editors.  I just can't use Vnews or
 VI without problems.  I have to assume that with so many Commodore
 users, more people aren't having the problems I do.  Basically,
 the three terminal emulators I have are garbage.  Just too many
 problems from them all.

 Could someone please recommend a good terminal emulator for either
the 128 or CP/M?  I would prefer the 128, but for decent terminal
emulation, loading CP/M is no problem.  Thanks in advance for any
suggestions.

 Terry Steyaert

Brendan@cup.portal.com (Brendan P Kehoe) (02/22/89)

In article <35@egrunix.UUCP>, steyaert@egrunix.UUCP (Terry Steyaert) writes:

> I am a very new user to the Usenet, so I hope I can get some help
> from the other numerous Commodore users here.  I currently use a
> Commodore 128 from home to connect to the Usenet.  I have many
> problems with terminal emulation.  When I try to edit an Usenet
> post, the emulation seems to be nil.  I have tried the VT100
> emulator on the Common Sence disk.  It isn't too bad in normal cases,
> but will not work with VI or Vnews.  I also use BobsTerm.
> The VT100 emulator is really bad, but the VT52 isn't too bad.  I still
> have problems with it, it won't edit on Usenet, but Emacs works, and
> so do several other editors.  I just can't use Vnews or
> VI without problems.  I have to assume that with so many Commodore
> users, more people aren't having the problems I do.  Basically,
> the three terminal emulators I have are garbage.  Just too many
> problems from them all.
>
> Could someone please recommend a good terminal emulator for either
>the 128 or CP/M?  I would prefer the 128, but for decent terminal
>emulation, loading CP/M is no problem.  Thanks in advance for any
>suggestions.

 I use BTPro, but I added a few of the sequences that the program originally
left out. With the changes, the emulation seems to work without a problem..
I've used it on an online network, on a few Unix sites, and on our local
University's VMS and it never failed me..if you're interested in the mods that
I made (or if people would rather it be posted on the net), just leave me
mail.

Brendan@cup.portal.com  -or- ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!Brendan

fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) (02/22/89)

In another article, drew@umbc3.umbc.edu.UMBC.EDU (Drew Eisenhauer) writes:
> My problem is that I can't do uploads/downloads from my
> unix account because the xmodem on my vt100 emulator (the one that
> is on the "Common Sense" disk seems to be broken.
> Any truth to the rumor that someone has developed Kermit for the C128?

Both VT100-128 and Kermit have been revised.  VT100-128 v2.1 is available on
QLink and Compuserve (and possibly other places by now).  Kermit v2.2 might
also be available on QLink too, but you can get a copy and manual from Dr.
Evil Labs (I'm sure Ray or Kent could post the going price and their address).
Both offer excellent VT100 (VT102) emulation.  While Kermit runs in C64 mode
on a C128, it knows all about the C128 80-column screen, extended keyboard,
and 2MHz capability.  VT100-128 requires a C128 and 80-column monitor.  Both
terminal packages support 3/12/2400 data rates.
--
Fred Bowen			uucp:	{uunet|rutgers|pyramid}!cbmvax!fred
				arpa:	cbmvax!fred@uunet.uu.net

Commodore Electronics, Ltd.,  1200 Wilson Drive,  West Chester,  PA,  19380

hermit@ssyx.ucsc.edu (William R. Ward) (02/25/89)

In article <35@egrunix.UUCP> steyaert@egrunix.UUCP (Terry Steyaert) writes:
> I am a very new user to the Usenet, so I hope I can get some help
> from the other numerous Commodore users here.  I currently use a
> Commodore 128 from home to connect to the Usenet.  I have many
> problems with terminal emulation.  When I try to edit an Usenet
> post, the emulation seems to be nil.

I've seen the same results with various terms, including a BASIC/ML monitor
hack I wrote.  I stumbled upon a version of Kermit for the 128's CP/M mode
and it's a dream.  It can't keep up with very terminal-intensive things like
"worms," but easily copes with vi (don't know about vnews; I use rn) and most
games.  Due to the 128's software emulated "UART," however, it is unable to
display at 1200 baud!  It uses XON/XOFF quite effectively, however, to
minimize discomfort.

>                                       I have tried the VT100
> emulator on the Common Sence disk.  It isn't too bad in normal cases,
> but will not work with VI or Vnews.

I agree.  The VT100 "emulator" on that disc is pathetic.

> The VT100 emulator is really bad, but the VT52 isn't too bad.  I still
> have problems with it, it won't edit on Usenet, but Emacs works, and
> so do several other editors.  I just can't use Vnews or
> VI without problems.

The VT52 works reasonably well, but that 80-column emulation in 64 mode
slows down the program so much that it can't handle squat.

> Could someone please recommend a good terminal emulator for either
>the 128 or CP/M?  I would prefer the 128, but for decent terminal
>emulation, loading CP/M is no problem.  Thanks in advance for any
>suggestions.

I strongly suggest this Kermit which I have.  It requires the 6 DEC 85
version of CP/M (not the 8 AUG 85 version, which early 128's were shipped
with).  If you have the older version, there is a public domain patch which
fixes the problem.  I dowloaded both patch and Kermit from QuantumLink.

I'm not competent enough with Kermit or Unix to uuencode it and post, but
will gladly give a copy to anybody who sends a disc (with postage-paid
return mailer) to:

	William Ward
	649 Bay View Dr.
	Aptos, CA 95003

Please format the disc as a CP/M boot disc, and I'll patch it if needed.
"If creative thoughts could cause sparks, dynamite could safely be stored in
 this establishment."

William R. Ward <hermit@ssyx.ucsc.edu>
Voice: (408) 688-6547

Brendan@cup.portal.com (Brendan P Kehoe) (02/26/89)

 Since I've received so much mail asking for my changes to the BTP-128 VT100
emulator, here's the list:

(these are all additions of missing sequences..^ = Escape _ = #128)

ERASE SEQUENCES
 - Home & Clr Screen:  ^[2J
INSERT/DEL SEQUENCES
 - Insert Character:  ^[__@
 - Insert Line:  ^[__l
 - Delete Character:  ^[__p
 - Delete Line:  ^[__m
VIDEO ATTRIBUTES
 - Half Intensity:  ^[22m
 - Reverse Off:  ^[27m
 - Flash Off:  ^[25m
 - Underline Off:  ^[24m
 - Reverse & Flash Off:  ^[27;25m

 For the _ (#128), do Commodore-3 then hit 1 then 2 then 8...you'll get
a little square..

Brendan@cup.portal.com  -or-  ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!Brendan

fireman@tippy.uucp (02/28/89)

Whenever I use the VT100 (on BT128 w/previous mods), whenever the
screen is cleared a lowercase "r" appears in 0,0.  Any help on how
to get rid of it?
     Rob Dale  ---  tippy!Fireman@newton.physics.purdue.edu