[comp.sys.cbm] Comix Mailing List

jep@fantasci.UUCP (Joseph E Poplawski) (01/30/89)

Hello.  I have formed a mailing list that may be of interest to some of you.
Here is the official description that has been sent in to the list coordinator:

	Purpose: a mailing list for the discussion of designing software
		 for the Commodore 64 and 128 for various purposes, such
		 as accessing usenet and uucp mail. Other possible topics
		 of discussion can include, designing or porting a *NIX
		 type operating system to the Commodores, designing soft
		 ware to connect to other networks such a fidonet, etc.
		 The list will be sent out about once every two weeks or
		 even sooner depending on the traffic involved.

At the end of this article, is a copy of the first mailing that went out last
week.  Right now there are only about 5 people on the list, so if you are
interested, please join.

I will moderate the list and send it out in digest form after enough submissions
come in or about every two weeks, which ever comes first.

Please send your submissions to one of the following addresses:

	comix@fantasci.UUCP
	...!rutgers!rochester!moscom!telesci!fantasci!comix

and all administrivia and requests for inclusion to:

	comix-request@fantasci.UUCP
	...!rutgers!rochester!moscom!telesci!fantasci!comix-request

-Jo Poplawski
|  Joseph E Poplawski  (Jo)                   US Mail:  1621 Jackson Street   |
|                                                       Cinnaminson NJ 08077  |
|  UUCP:..!rutgers!rochester!moscom!telesci!fantasci!jep                      |
|       ..!princeton!telesci!fantasci!jep                                     |
|       ..!pyrnj!telesci!fantasci!jep           Phone:  +1 609 786-8099 home  |
		 for the Commodore 64 and 128 for various purposes, such
		 as accessing usenet and uucp mail. Other possible topics
		 of discussion can include, designing or porting a *NIX
		 type operating system to the Commodores, designing soft
		 ware to connect to other networks such a fidonet, etc.
		 The list will be sent out about once every two weeks or
		 even sooner depending on the traffic involved.

Please send all requests for inclusion or other administrivia to:

		comix-request@fantasci.UUCP

And all submissions to:

From: att!mtgzz!bjh (BJ)
Subject:    C Power & UNIX

Add me to your mailing list.

----------
From: pyrnj!princeton!gatech!dcatla!sunb!mclek (Larry E. Kollar)

I'm interested in seeing what this group can come up with -- maybe I can
even help out.

My opinion is that creating a full multitasking Unix-style clone for the C128
is more trouble than its worth -- especially given the limited ("only" 128K)
RAM and disk space that most people have.  (I'll happily admit I'm wrong if
someone shows me I am.)  On the other hand, how about something like OS9?
I'll admit I've never seen it, but CoCo owners seem happy with it -- perhaps
we could clone that instead.

As far as UUCP/UUPC goes, an older hacker friend suggests that it might be
possible -- written in machine language.  I don't know about you, but I don't
relish the thought of maintaining roughly 30,000 lines of 6502 machine code,
given the limited capabilites of most assemblers.

How about this for an OS/networking system?

	- compact task-switching kernal
	- standard set of utilities to fit on a 1541 (or 1571, if too big --
          I'm just trying to keep this project within reach of the average
          128 person who doesn't have a hard drive)
	- single-tasking default, multi-tasking with RAM cartridge
	- Amiga-style libraries (reduce disk access time for loading prgs)
	- LINKER!  ONE THAT CAN PRUNE NON-USED LIBRARY CODE!
	- macro-assembler that works with the above
	- compiler? (now who wants to write a compiler? :-) Some code for a
          simple compiler called "foogol" exists for VAX-type machines; it's
          only 500 lines, so it might be possible to port it to Power-C (I
          tried long ago w/Abacus C, no luck -- I have Power-C now) & that
          might form the basis of a Comix compiler
	- networking software based on long-packet Kermit or Ymodem batch
          (1571 or 1581 owners only) -- with Unix equivalents for doing
          low-volume news or mail transfers (I think that a 128 w/1581 could
	  handle a mail feed & a handful of SMALL newsgroups)
	- supports at least 4 drives
	- graphics library, both 40 & 80 column modes
	- generic input device support (let users choose mouse or joystick)
          ala GEOS
	- decent sequential text editor
	- support for memory bank-switching (one of the hardest parts of
          programming a 128, IMHO)
	- shell with simplified job control ala csh (while windowing might
          be possible on the 128 -- see GEOS -- I envision a more command-line
          oriented OS)

These aren't in any particular order; I just threw them together.  If this
list has been around for longer than I thought (a couple of weeks), & I'm just
reopening old discussion, I apologize & would appreciate seeing a list of
what has been agreed on & what needs to be done.

	Larry Kollar	...!gatech!dcatla!mclek

----------
From: jep@fantasci.UUCP (Joseph E Poplawski)
Subject:  My ideas

+ All software should be written for the Commodore 64 and 128 native modes
  with all files created/used compatible between the two (except binaries).

+ The following programs should be written as part of the package:

		uuencode/decode
		compress/uncompress
		shar/unshar
		uucp mail interface
		usenet Pnews interface
		diff / patch (is this possible?)
		uucp-g protocol (see below)
		conversion program (see below)

+ The uucp-g protocol, would be the best one to use, though if this is not
  possible, we may be able to design a protocol or modify an existing protocol
  such as Xmodem and build a COMIX Shell Interface for the UNIX end of the
  connection which would then feed all the information to the appropriate
  programs as would happen using UUCP.

+ We should have a conversion program which will convert Commodore Basic program
  files to standard ascii for mailing, and then a program to convert them back.

+ The Pnews interface should be fairly easy to implement, though I do not see
  an RN interface as possible due to the lack of disk space with the Commodore
  Systems.  A partial news feed could kill most peoples systems.

+ We should have a standard terminal public domain emulation program for the
  COMIX package.  I would recommend we try Kermit-65 from Dr Evil Labs.

+ All the packages should support the following hardware:

		Drives: 1541, 1571, 1581, SFD-1001, 8050
		Modems: 1670, Any Hayes compatible
		Memory: any memory expansion units

+ All the utilities should be menu driven.

+ All sources should be public domain and available to anyone who wishes to use
  the COMIX software.  We should have a main archive that will hold all the
  official current releases to keep everyone up to date.  All code should also
  be well commented and written in a language that many have access to such as:

		Commodore Basic 2.0 (64), 7.0 (128)
		Power-C by Spinnaker
		Super-C by Abacus
		Assembler (we should try to standardize an assembler)

+ A COMIX mailing list and mail archive server will be started and maintained
  on system fantasci.  PO box for disk duplication by mail.

+ If there becomes enough interest, we could write software to start a COMIX
  network which could be a BBS that communicates with other COMIX sites, thus
  allowing mail to be sent back and forth and maybe a type of info network of
  our own.  Other COMIX sites would be identified by a node name or number.
  So if a particular site does not have direct access to a regular UNIX mail
  server, one of the other machines could "gateway" the mail for that site.

I would love to hear what everyone else (all 3 of you so far) thinks of these
ideas so far.

----------
From: jep@fantasci.UUCP (Joseph E Poplawski)
Subject: opinions

In this issue, Larry E. Kollar writes:

>My opinion is that creating a full multitasking Unix-style clone for the C128
>is more trouble than its worth -- especially given the limited ("only" 128K)
>RAM and disk space that most people have.

Isn't there a version of minix for CP/M? My impression was that most CP/M
machines only had between 64 and 128K to begin with?  (Am I incorrect?)

>On the other hand, how about something like OS9?

Does anyone know anything about OS9?  Is it similar to UNIX?  Would we be
able to write uucp and mail for it to be compatible with UNIX?

>As far as UUCP/UUPC goes, an older hacker friend suggests that it might be
>possible -- written in machine language.  I don't know about you, but I don't
>relish the thought of maintaining roughly 30,000 lines of 6502 machine code,
>given the limited capabilites of most assemblers.

>	- compiler? (now who wants to write a compiler? :-) Some code for a
>         simple compiler called "foogol" exists for VAX-type machines; it's
>         only 500 lines, so it might be possible to port it to Power-C (I
>         tried long ago w/Abacus C, no luck -- I have Power-C now) & that
>         might form the basis of a Comix compiler

Is this "foogol" public domain?  If so, maybe you may want to consider sending
it to the list (I am going to be setting up a mail archive server for the list
shortly when I find software for it) so others can try and port it also.

>	- networking software based on long-packet Kermit or Ymodem batch

We could also use the Punter protocol since it was written for Commodore
machines in the first place.  I recently heard on the net, that there was a
version for MsDos/UNIX written entirely in C.  We could use this for the
Commodore end and also write a Comix interface for the UNIX side that would
receive the file, then unbundle it, and process it accordingly.

>	- shell with simplified job control ala csh (while windowing might
>         be possible on the 128 -- see GEOS -- I envision a more command-line
>         oriented OS)

I also envision the same.  I think if we made everything with pretty little
windows and fancy graphics, that we would be sacrificing much needed speed and
memory.

>These aren't in any particular order; I just threw them together.  If this
>list has been around for longer than I thought (a couple of weeks), & I'm just
>reopening old discussion, I apologize & would appreciate seeing a list of
>what has been agreed on & what needs to be done.

This is the first mailing altogether, so in a way, you have opened the first
real discussion (with some excellent ideas I might add!).

-Jo

                         *** End of COMIX Mailing ***

cygnus@wpi.wpi.edu (Marshall Robin) (02/04/89)

Could you please include me on the list? It wont let me mail to UUCP.
so I have to let you know here.
--
|BITNET:    cygnus@wpi.bitnet  | Better the pride that resides   | This space |
|Internet:  cygnus@wpi.wpi.edu | In a citizen of the world	 | reserved   |

kev@voder.UUCP (Kevin Hoskins) (02/13/89)

In article <404@fantasci.UUCP>, jep@fantasci.UUCP (Joseph E Poplawski) writes:
> Hello.  I have formed a mailing list that may be of interest to some of you.

The mail that I tried to send to you bounced. I wanted to ask you if I could
be included on the COMIX mailing list.

Thank you,

Kevin Hoskins

aliu@nunki.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu) (03/04/89)

>MUNCH< >MUNCH< >MUNCH< >MUNCH< >MUNCH< >MUNCH< >MUNCH< >MUNCH<

Is the Comix mailing list still active?
Could you please add me to the mailing list (if it is still active)?

--

                    aliu@nunki.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu)
(Simple .signature, $CHEAP$)