[comp.sys.cbm] 1350 Non-Proportional Mouse <==> 1350.1 Proportional Mouse

aliu@nunki.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu) (03/04/89)

>MUNCH< >MUNCH< >MUNCH< >MUNCH< >MUNCH< >MUNCH< >MUNCH< >MUNCH<

Hi,
   How does the 1350 mouse works?  Can it be possible to convert that
mouse in a more or less proportional mouse, by using the LightPen
interrupt?

The way I think it could be is that you rewire the outputs, so
everytime the mouse moves a certain distance, it will generate an
interrupt, the same way as you generate an interrupt when you press
the joystick button on port 1, and the Lightpen interrupt is enabled.
So, a driver can be writen, that will enabled by that interrupt, and
update some counter in memory.

Is this idea possible, or I have a wild imagination?
(BTW, I have no idea how the 1350 Mouse works, so this ramblimgs might
be full B.S.)

--

                    aliu@nunki.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu)
(Simple .signature, $CHEAP$)

izot@f171.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Geoffrey Welsh) (03/05/89)

 > From: aliu@nunki.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu)

 >    How does the 1350 mouse works?  Can it be possible to convert that
 > mouse in a more or less proportional mouse, by using the LightPen
 > interrupt?

   Uh, not easily anyway. The 1350 is a "joymouse" - moving it in a direction
sends the same signal back to the computer as leaning joystick in the same
direction. The lightpen/fire line is connected to one of the buttons (I think
the other is connected to one of the paddle lines).

 > The way I think it could be is that you rewire the outputs, so
 > everytime the mouse moves a certain distance, it will generate an
 > interrupt,

   This would require internal mechanical modification - probably more
expensive than simply going out & buying a 1351 proportional mouse.

Internet:  Geoffrey.Welsh@f171.n221.z1.fidonet.org | 66 Mooregate Crescent
Usenet:    watmath!isishq!izot                     | Suite 602
FidoNet:   Geoffrey Welsh on 1:221/171             | Kitchener, Ontario
PunterNet: 7/Geoffrey Welsh                        | N2M 5E6 CANADA
BBS:       (519) 742-8939 24h 7d 300/1200/2400bps  | (519) 741-9553
|  "I don't need a disclaimer. No one pays any attention to what I say."  |

 Geoffrey Welsh - via FidoNet node 1:221/162
     UUCP: ...!watmath!isishq!171!izot
 Internet: izot@f171.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG

jgreco@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Joe Greco) (03/06/89)

]
]Hi,
]   How does the 1350 mouse works?  Can it be possible to convert that
]mouse in a more or less proportional mouse, by using the LightPen
]interrupt?

Forget the light-pen interrupt.  That's more or less useless.

The C1350 is a nonproportional "joystick" that looks like a mouse.
Commodore must have been out of their minds when they designed it.
Somebody must have thought "If it looks like a mouse and sounds like a
mouse, it must BE a mouse".... but it's just a fancy joystick.

When you roll the mouse in direction A, it is equivalent to pushing a
joystick in that direction.  BFD.

]The way I think it could be is that you rewire the outputs, so
]everytime the mouse moves a certain distance, it will generate an
]interrupt, the same way as you generate an interrupt when you press
]the joystick button on port 1, and the Lightpen interrupt is enabled.
]So, a driver can be writen, that will enabled by that interrupt, and
]update some counter in memory.

Why bother?  We already have a perfectly fine interrupt sixty times a
second that is more than adequate to do the job.  Why make it harder
than it already is?

I never had a C1350 (had a  C1351 for about a month before trading it
for something)....  but I did design an IRQ based driver with screen
pointer and everything for it.  It was designed for actual use,
too....  It featured a selectable pointer/watch sprite, single pixel
resolution, registers to store the coordinates of the last place that
was "clicked" (rudimentary buffering), and dual speed motion (if you
went in s single direction for more than a few seconds, it doubled
it's speed).

]Is this idea possible, or I have a wild imagination?
](BTW, I have no idea how the 1350 Mouse works, so this ramblimgs might
]be full B.S.)

Questions?  Please ask.  Please don't ask for source, I probably don't
have it any more.

]--
]
]                    aliu@nunki.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu)
](Simple .signature, $CHEAP$)
]

Better than some 15 line sigs I've seen!  :-)
--
jgreco@csd4.milw.wisc.edu		Joe Greco at FidoNet 1:154/200
USnail: 9905 W Montana Ave			     PunterNet Node 30 or 31

aliu@nunki.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu) (03/06/89)

In article <1438@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> jgreco@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Joe Greco) writes:
>In comp.sys.cbm article <2924@nunki.usc.edu>, aliu@nunki.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu) wrote:
>]   How does the 1350 mouse works?  Can it be possible to convert that
>]mouse in a more or less proportional mouse, by using the LightPen
>]interrupt?
>Forget the light-pen interrupt.  That's more or less useless.
>The C1350 is a nonproportional "joystick" that looks like a mouse.
>Why bother?  We already have a perfectly fine interrupt sixty times a
>second that is more than adequate to do the job.  Why make it harder
>than it already is?

You are missing my point here.  The light pen interrupt is not supposed
to just active a ML Routine to read the joystick.  It is supposed to be
used by the Joystick/mouse to tell the computer it finished doing something.
In the case of the mouse, it will signal the computer that it finished
travelling a fixed distance in direction x(or y).  So if I move the mouse
slowly, it will generate less interrupts as if I were moving the mouse
faster.  The more interrupts, the counters will increase (or decrease)
faster, thus simulating a proportional mouse.

Some computers, I think, use this method for their mices.
--

                    aliu@nunki.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu)
(Simple .signature, $CHEAP$)

jgreco@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Joe Greco) (03/06/89)

In comp.sys.cbm article <2937@nunki.usc.edu>, aliu@nunki.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu) wrote:
[much mouse using light pen IRQ drivel]
]You are missing my point here.  The light pen interrupt is not supposed
]to just active a ML Routine to read the joystick.  It is supposed to be
]used by the Joystick/mouse to tell the computer it finished doing something.
]In the case of the mouse, it will signal the computer that it finished
]travelling a fixed distance in direction x(or y).  So if I move the mouse
]slowly, it will generate less interrupts as if I were moving the mouse
]faster.  The more interrupts, the counters will increase (or decrease)
]faster, thus simulating a proportional mouse.
]
]Some computers, I think, use this method for their mices.

Why not just BUY the 1351?  That would be easier, simpler, and more
compatible.  Not to mention POSSIBLE....

The light pen interrupt isn't really designed to be used by the mouse
or joystick anyways.  THAT is my point:  You can do whatever you can
with the 1350 without using it.

Is there some particular reason you are so set on doing it this way?