[comp.sys.cbm] C-128D Questions

izot@f171.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Geoffrey Welsh) (03/07/89)

 > From: murphyjo@dekalb.UUCP (john)

 > 1.  What besides the disk drive is different on the new system (I have
 > read a while back in a product reveiw that the newer machine had 64K 80-col
 > video RAM, instead of the 16K on the older models).

   I think that's it. I have no idea why Commodore didn't put 64K video RAM
in the first place but, then again, I have plenty of "why didn't you do that
in the first place" questions for the designers of the C128...

 > 3.  In reguards to #1(above) how can this video RAM be accesed on the
 > newer model.  I have an assembly routine taken from Computes book on said
 > older model, but I want to know if the same will work on the newer model???

   Anything that will work in 16K video RAM will work with 64K. The extra
memory is completely ignored on powerup in the normal C128's; the 128D may
activate the 64K on powerup (if it doesn't, set bit 4 in register 28 of the
VDC). Note that, when you change that bit, the meanings of all the address
lines change and the data in video RAM is scrambled (including character
generator info), but a quick call the the ROM routines that load that data &
clear screen should fix that. After that, all normal video RAM accesses should
work normally (again).

   The extra video RAM can be used for more character sets, more "screens"
(you can now page flip through video RAM in the same way some C64 "animators"
page flip the VIC sreen through normal RAM). You can also try to play with
high resolution screens (the expanded memory will remove the limitation that
640 * 200 cannot be used with block colouring, etc.) although I am told that
there is a bug in the VDC that prevents interlace and hi-res modes from being
used at the same time (more's the pity, because that would allow 640 * 400 and
perhaps slightly higher resolutions).

   I am told that a package called BASIC 8 will take advantage of the extra
VDC RAM (I believe it supports hires graphics for the 80-column screen).

Internet:  Geoffrey.Welsh@f171.n221.z1.fidonet.org | 66 Mooregate Crescent
Usenet:    watmath!isishq!izot                     | Suite 602
FidoNet:   Geoffrey Welsh on 1:221/171             | Kitchener, Ontario
PunterNet: 7/Geoffrey Welsh                        | N2M 5E6 CANADA
BBS:       (519) 742-8939 24h 7d 300/1200/2400bps  | (519) 741-9553
|  "I don't need a disclaimer. No one pays any attention to what I say."  |

 Geoffrey Welsh - via FidoNet node 1:221/162
     UUCP: ...!watmath!isishq!171!izot
 Internet: izot@f171.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG