[comp.sys.cbm] Kermit V2.2 Keyboard problems

emjay@dasys1.UUCP (Michael J. Lavery) (03/28/89)

I have downloaded a copy of Kermit V2.2 from Q-Link and am having
extreme difficulties with it.  I am trying to determine whather
it is a problem with the Q-Link version or more general.  I am
not alone in experiencing the problems.

The difficulty seems to be with the keyboard.  The characters
"a", "d", "g" and "j" when pressed do not appear on the screen
and in local mode only when help.  The letter"j" seems to produce
a Control M after screen printing.  The letter"z" is only
available in upper case - shades of GEOWrite2.0.

In addition, though V2.1 accepted modem commands, "atdt" in lower
case, only upper case has any effect.

As you can guess, with difficulty on the "a" and "d" keys it is
awkward to dial the modem and with the "j" key sending a CR, I
cannot enter my handle "emjay".

To assist, I am using a C=128 without upgrade ROMS and a Supre
2400 modem and the screen-driver is Commodore 128.  The above
seems to happen without regard for baud setting.

I have had no difficulty with Kermit V2.1.

--
Michael J. Lavery
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX

) (03/30/89)

In article <9132@dasys1.UUCP> emjay@dasys1.UUCP (Michael J. Lavery) writes:

>I have downloaded a copy of Kermit V2.2 from Q-Link and am having
>extreme difficulties with it.[]

I'm having the same probles, not only with the Version uploaded from Q-Link,
but also with the 'USENET'-Version...

Anybody out there beeing able to find the bugs?

					Greetings Kianusch

jbond@escargot.UUCP (Jeremy Shepherd) (03/31/89)

In article <9132@dasys1.UUCP> emjay@dasys1.UUCP (Michael J. Lavery) writes:

>I have downloaded a copy of Kermit V2.2 from Q-Link and am having
>extreme difficulties with it.  I am trying to determine whather
>it is a problem with the Q-Link version or more general.  I am
>not alone in experiencing the problems.

The same problem that I had, Michael.  And the solution is simple. You must have
a 1351 mouse plugged in to your machine.  Unplug it.  The keyboard problem will
go away when you do.

>--
>Michael J. Lavery
>Big Electric Cat Public UNIX
>..!cmcl2!phri!dasys1!emjay

          Jeremy B. Shepherd
 ("...tektronix!tessi!escargot!jbond")
or just   ("jbond@escargot")

"Have you never wanted to do anything that was dangerous?  Have you
never wanted to look beyond the clouds and the stars, or to know what causes
the trees to bud, and what changes a darkness into light?"
   -Balderston/Fort/Faragoh/Florey

bpm@homxb.ATT.COM (B.MAGNIN) (03/31/89)

In article <444@unicom.UUCP>, sayah_k@unicom.UUCP (KIANUSCH... Yes, Kianusch himself !!!) writes:
> In article <9132@dasys1.UUCP> emjay@dasys1.UUCP (Michael J. Lavery) writes:
>
> >I have downloaded a copy of Kermit V2.2 from Q-Link and am having
> >extreme difficulties with it.[]
>
> I'm having the same probles, not only with the Version uploaded from Q-Link,
> but also with the 'USENET'-Version...
>
> Anybody out there beeing able to find the bugs?
>
> 					Greetings Kianusch

The answer to this problem was mentioned on the net a while back.
Unfortunately I don't remember who, so I can't give credit where the
credit is due.

And the answer is (drum roll):

UNPLUG THE MOUSE!!!

For some reason kermit 2.2 will not work on a c128 with the screen driver set
to commodore 128 as long as the mouse is plugged in.

Hey Ray!!  Is that a bug or a feature :-)